Encounters with your GMT-400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm happy that I'm not the only one who's used one of these trucks as a lawn/garden implement. Many years ago, a good friend and I used my Suburban to remove weeds from a neglected garden at his house. Basically a bunch of 4WD launches and donuts in the garden. Not exactly a clean result, but we had a lot of fun finding out just how bad of an idea it was.
It’s all about the journey!

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worst I can think of was about 5 years ago. Driving home one winter from my parents. Doing about 30-35 down the highway because it was icy and hit a patch of black ice. Truck spun a complete 360 in the road then proceeded to go into the ditch. Don't know how I kept it on all 4 during the spin going that fast. Almost got one guy stuck getting me out of the freshly plowed snow. He couldn't get me out. Had a sheriff stop and ask if needed help. Told him no. Was going to give it one more try and if couldn't get out was going to call a wrecker. Frustrated gave it all the beans the wore out 350 had and got it through the 3ish feet of snow bank into about a 6 inch layer farther down in the ditch. Fun part was getting back on the highway. Im pretty sure i hit the plowed snow bank doing at least 40 so i could blow through it and back on solid ground. When the sheriff got down to where i had gotten back on the highway he was laughing his ass off. He said watching that made his night. We checked for damage and then sent me on my way.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Worst I can think of was about 5 years ago. Driving home one winter from my parents. Doing about 30-35 down the highway because it was icy and hit a patch of black ice. Truck spun a complete 360 in the road then proceeded to go into the ditch. Don't know how I kept it on all 4 during the spin going that fast. Almost got one guy stuck getting me out of the freshly plowed snow. He couldn't get me out. Had a sheriff stop and ask if needed help. Told him no. Was going to give it one more try and if couldn't get out was going to call a wrecker. Frustrated gave it all the beans the wore out 350 had and got it through the 3ish feet of snow bank into about a 6 inch layer farther down in the ditch. Fun part was getting back on the highway. Im pretty sure i hit the plowed snow bank doing at least 40 so i could blow through it and back on solid ground. When the sheriff got down to where i had gotten back on the highway he was laughing his ass off. He said watching that made his night. We checked for damage and then sent me on my way.
Wow. My dad had a 89 burban that lost a clip in the rear. My mom drove it one day and turned into our drive way the right hand axle and wheel shot out the axle case.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
So i have a expensive encounter. Watch how hard you bare down onto a nut. I broke the head ground nut loose. And punched the distributor. Broke it. Its in one peice bit bearing is effed. Got new distributor. Now my truck is way out of time. So yea. Valuable expensive life lesson i learned. All i did was want to replace the engine to frame ground and that happend unexpectedly.

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Square body 2500 sub on 95 into NYC heading to Madison Square Garden with the mud car on the trailer. Fairly tight left curve, packed into traffic rolling 65, and the front right tire implodes. Oh joy!