electric fan swap..... NBS to OBS VORTEC question... what do i need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
I wonder what if any measureable gain there will be after doing this. More amps you draw the more load on alternator thus more drag on engine.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what if any measureable gain there will be after doing this. More amps you draw the more load on alternator thus more drag on engine.
Im going to say yes cause mine never run other the idle situations and creeping intown. Once your cruising they never turn on. And the pcm disables the fans somewhere around 45mph.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
Im going to say yes cause mine never run other the idle situations and creeping intown. Once your cruising they never turn on. And the pcm disables the fans somewhere around 45mph.
That's what I was wondering. Also the clutch fan doesn't pull as much at highway speeds.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering. Also the clutch fan doesn't pull as much at highway speeds.
True but the fan still has some drag on the engine at all times. But is it enough to be measureable on a daily i doubt it