electric fan swap..... NBS to OBS VORTEC question... what do i need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
well ive been looking for some electric fans for afew years now for my truck and i actually found a dual fan setup from a i think 2005 chevy truck. someone already removed them from the junkyard truck and the motor and radiator was both gone already and this fan was just siting afew feet away from the truck. personally im amazed they didnt take it as well! usually they already gone or they are all busted up. luckely they unbolted everything and clipped the wires going to the fans as well so i have good pigtails as well :)
sure as hell cannt beat that for only 25bucks!
this should free up alittle HP but most of all clear up a little space :)

so has anybody done this swap on there OBS VORTEC? if so what do i need? and any pictures you got are appreciated. from what it looks like doesnt seem to hard but since i didnt see how exactly it was mounted in the NBS truck its hard to judge how it should sit.
i know i need some kind of thermostat controller. but what would you guys recommend?

this is what i got. which im hoping to get onto a 1997 c1500 5.7 vortec/auto.

You must be registered for see images attach

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
theres a few ways to go about it. im not sure the old computers have the pins for the fan, so unless you have a 411 pcm swap that isn't going to work. another is to get a harness set up that uses a radiator or screw in probe and relays. i have used the rad prob and relays in my 97 with ls1 fans and its been reliable. i have had a hiccup or two but noting too bad.

you will also need a 34" radiator for the fans to fit. sucks that they cut and took the plugs off the wire. but not the end of the world. just need soldering and a more permanent fixture.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
well i do have the pigtails for the fans so its no big deal at all to crimp or solder some wires to them.
ya i highly doubt my computer has a fan control on it.

i should have a 34inch radiator since its stock. im really hoping someone would have pictures of theres installed and how they got it trimmed out so i can get some ideas.

also they have a ton of electric fan controls! alot of singles and duals. not sure if it would be better to have the dual unit so one fan comes on at low temp and 2nd fan with the higher temp, or just run a single fan control with probe unit and just hookup a relay to power the second fan.
i think those probe types look easy enough to just push into the raidator between fins.
i have a used fan controler with probe that i got at local junkyard last year that ive never tested so not exactly sure if it works or not.

what kind of problems have you had? J/W

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry it took a while to respond.

id solder the connectors on if you can with some heat shrink.

the way mine are set up is with a durale 16738 kit with an extra relay. in the wiring i spent maybe 30$ at the time. i did use some wire that i already had for ground and power wire. it is a 180 on 170 off sensor so i used a 180 thermostat to go with it. what i did to hook it up was just join all the power, ground, and signal on wires together and hooked each relay to each fan. for the key on power signal i taped into the yellow wiper wire and ran that threw the temp switch to the relays. the green wire they have can be used for ether ac on or switch on. i used it as switch as my ac isn't working on it. for ac you would tap i think into the ac clutch on to signal turn on and off.

this is basic wiring up. you could go to the point on having a high/low settings and have only one fan come on at a a specified temp and the other at 10º hotter. doing so might not put as big of a load on your electrical system as if both were to start at the same time but i never had any problem my way.

if you don't like the prob that go threw the rad you can get the thread in and put it in one of the hoses but you would have to get a adapter off ebay that you screw in to. i like that idea but its more money.

as for the problems i had they were mostly because inferior protects. i had a relay go out on one fan so i was running only on a single for nearly a week. it left the fan on a lot more but never overheated. i would recommend on getting some of the highest rated ones you can find that are water proof i did catch my fuses melting, not burnt out but melting the case so i went out and bout some self resting circuit breakers to replace them.

as for mounting your fans i don't know. you may have to take some sheet metal and bend it into something that will work.

my install of ls1's. luckily with my single core rad they fit snugly up side down in the rad support and just used a piece of steal to bolt it to the original shroud holes.

Last edited:

bobfig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
oo one thing if you want i have an extra kit that i linked up there ill ship for $20 if you want.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
o i got plenty of relay kits laying around :D
best of all i already have a mini MIDI fuse block i can slap onto my truck since im not using it anyways and it should clean up my messy ring terminal setup i got right now.LOL thanks

dixiepc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Here are some pictures of a good way to install the fan itself. Also if you had the time to wait, a fan controller from DCControl (http://www.dccontrol.com/introf0.htm) would be good. He hand builds each one so it takes a while to get them. He also doesn't communicate very well so you just have to be patient. But his products are the best available. I have the same fan and this is the controller that I got, (http://www.dccontrol.com/constant_temperature_controllers.htm), the FK-55. I have a friend that has a auto electric shop and we check the fans with them running face down, flat on the floor so they would be drawing the most amps, and this controller is more than enough.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
o ok i like that nice and clean. so like a C channel tubing across the top to bolt the top mounts to it and bolt it to the radiator support brackets. looks easy enough and pretty clean! guess i need to pull off my top shroud and measure to see how wide of steel i need and go down to my steel guy and see what hes got.
thanks for pictures!

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
ok i went back the other day after work just cause it was a nice day and i looked again at this truck and it actually still had the fan wire harness and relay box. i had to unsplice all the extra wires like headlights and air bag wires to seperate the two harnesses. it was missing one of the fuses for it but i snagged another fuse from another vehicle for it. only thing i couldnt find was the top cover of the relay box IF it ever actually had its own cover or not im unsure.
i tested it out and it uses a ground signal to power fans. one wire turns on just the one for AC and the second turns both fans on.

dixiepc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The controller that I linked you to uses a PWM to control the fans. They start a 10% and ramp up only as needed to control the temperature. So there's never a spike on the electrical system.