Electric fan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got it figured out. It seems to work pretty good for the most part. The only issue I have now is that when the key is off the fan can still cycle and I can't figure out why. I have the relay power switch wired to the auxiliary post under the hood. But my led lights are the same and they won't turn on with the key off. I'm thinking maybe the ground?

Spastik Monkey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe that post is 12 volt hot constant. Did you check it with a power probe or test light?

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are right. The posts are constantly hot. I checked with a continuity light. So now the next thing is I know the mini fuse box in the cab is hot with the ignition is there a easy way to run that wire into the cab to the mini fuse box?

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok this is what I have setup

the ford windstar fans fitted into the stock shroud. with a hayden adjustable wiring harness. the fans currently are coming on at 198 and off about 188. the big fan will come on around 208. I am curious if I should set the truck at a higher temp for it to turn on though.

if I understand my 195 thermostat doesnt actually fully open untill about 205ish. so should I have my fans set to come on at 205ish? what do you guys think??

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok this is what I have setup

the ford windstar fans fitted into the stock shroud. with a hayden adjustable wiring harness. the fans currently are coming on at 198 and off about 188. the big fan will come on around 208. I am curious if I should set the truck at a higher temp for it to turn on though.

if I understand my 195 thermostat doesnt actually fully open untill about 205ish. so should I have my fans set to come on at 205ish? what do you guys think??

What year is your truck?

There really isn't one answer for everyone. There are going to be guys who never want their temps to go over (pick a number, 180, 195, 200). So they use a certain thermostat and turn on their fans to maintain that temp. Other guys would rather let the thermostat do most the work and leave the fans off unless they are needed.

In a 99 Vortec tune, the PCM spark modifiers don't kick in until the ECT is over 208* and there is a good load on the engine. At 208* and MAP pressure above 55k it will pull 1* of timing. You probably won't even notice that 1* but it will be removed.

You must be registered for see images attach

You can also see that there is a big range between 46* and 198* where the PCM makes no changes to the spark based on ECT. So if you hear people say "My truck makes more power at 185* vs 195*" it's probably not true. At least not for vortec engine on a stock tune.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok my truck is a 96 with the vortec 350. So just glancing at our poost it's better for it to reach 208? As far as power? Or did I misunderstand