Electric fan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i think that's what I'll do and then wire the second fan to the high option so it comes on 10 degrees warmer than the original turn on since that's how the kit I have works.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also have a ac by pass circuit, but since my ac is cycling on and off all the time I don't know if I'll use it. I think my ac is low on refrigerant.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You bet! They worked great in the Denali. Can you control the fans with the EBL?

Short answer is yes. Long answer is I have to run a wire from the ECM connector to my relays-which really isnt a big deal. The problem I have is I have searched throughout the computers program and cant find where the on-off degree settings are, so I havent done it. So, for now they still operate off of the thermo switch.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are fan controls in the Vortec "Black Box" PCM which are disabled from the factory.

You must be registered for see images attach

So there must be a pin out in the PCM that could control an aftermarket fan. The pin might already be connected to the fuse panel?

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wish I knew that ahead of time. Woulda saved me a lot of wire running

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wish I knew that ahead of time. Woulda saved me a lot of wire running

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Well that is on my 99 using HP Tuners. HP Tuners only supports 98+ Vortec Trucks. So it might be an option that is not available to all years.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, Im running TunerPro RT in conjunction with an EBL daughterboard. Finally sat down last night and searched through all the code just for fans. Found out the reason it had never looked right was that some parameters were in one place, and the rest were elswhere. Got them all set, now I have to run the wire inside and put an end on it so it will plug into the ECM connector.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so tonight j got the fan all mounted in the shroud and on the truck. All I have left is to wire it up and I'm good to go. However I didn't notice this befor but the bigger fan has 3
Terminals on the motor but only 2
In the pigtail. Another confusing part is that the wires are blue and one is red.... Wouldn't that be the 2 different speeds and I'm missing a ground? I had them tested at the junkyard but I don't recall there being a 3rd wire just the 2 and I didn't notice the 3rd was missing until now can someone shed some light on this? Thabks