Electric fan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok so my buddy is going to get me a set of ls1 fans from a 98 camaro thats at a junkyard that he was going to anyway. they should from my understanding then almost fit perfectly right? I dont mind doing a little fabrication is part of the project and experience.

the one thing im a little concerned about is the fan controller. what gauge wire is everyone using?? Im looking at this kit right now

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Im hoping to spend no more than $50 on a controller and I would like it to be adjustable. also is it possible to wire something up that would just fit into my radiator hose for temperature?? thanks

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran 10 gauge for the wires powering and grounding my fan. I used 16 everywhere else.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking too. Could the auxiliary power posts under my hood run them?

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ran mine straight from the battery with a 30a inline fuse. I can find my wire diagram if you need it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats cool too. do you think you could get it in there decent with the radiator in? it didnt work out with my friend so I called the one junkyard thats around again and they have two ford windstars 1996 and a 2000 year. they want $50 but Im not sure if thats a good deal or not I might offter $40. I think I might do the same looes like they fit really well and it also looks like the cfm ratings are about the same as the ls1 fans.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got mine for $10 from the pick n pull. I probably only have $50-75 in the whole thing including the temp switch, relays and wires. I'm not sure about the 2000, but I know the 96 works.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went to the salvage yard and picked up a set. They feel like they are decent quality for sure. I also got a Hayden wiring harness that is pretty much plug and play. I am curious though the wiring harness is set up for 2, 2 speed fans. These fans are either on or off right? Because they have 2 wires per fan. So would I wire them up to the low or the high circuit? I think I'll do the project maybe on Wednesday hopefully

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Two speed fans are very simple. Off, speed 1, speed 2. Ground is common and you have a light and low speed power wire.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk