Electric fan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to replace my mechanical can clutch. I have read and read about electric fans and the benefits of them and I think I would really enjoy the project as well as the benefits. However I was wondering if I could get some thoughts for my application. I have a 1996 Chevy k1500 with 3.42 gears so it's not great for towing anyway. I don't really tow anything and when I do it's a small 4 wheeler trailer with 1 or 2 4 wheelers and is usually short distances like no longer the.n a 30 minute drive. And generally if anything I put my dirtbike In the back. The he livestock thing I have pulled with it In 6 years is a flat bed trailer with our furniture on it when we moved. So I think for my application I think I would be ok but what do you guys think?

I want to either use a ls1 fan that from what I understand and should fit pretty well or a fan from a Lincoln mk8. I think I would like the dual fans because if one were to go out I would still have one.

Thanks for the thoughts!!

Spastik Monkey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great setup. Flex-a-lite also makes a nice kit. Ill be doing the same thing to my 454

Daniel907

Reaction score
Flex-a-lite has great products. I just installed one of their syclone fans in my truck, as well as the controller unit from Flex-a-lite as well. Works great, and moves a ton of air, and the controller gives you the option of choosing what temperature the fan turns on at.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks for the input. after looking at the flex a lite fans I think they are out of my budget. Im looking at probably $130 max. does anyone know where I could get some LS1 fans for a decent price? I have been watching ebay. I dont think there is alot of ls1s in salvage yards is there?

Spastik Monkey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your local pull a part. Look for an 05 or newer truck or Camara or firebird

ltxdave

Reaction score
I got fans and shroud from a LT1 F body (93-97) for two of these trucks (including my current one) and they fit great. I made some simple brackets for the top and the bottom fit into the shroud like it was made for it. I used a flexalite control kit for this setup, but the last one I just ran to a toggle switch. I just towed a 55 Pontiac about 45 miles on my equipment trailer and the truck never ran hotter than it does just driving down the highway.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The flex a lite is super noisy when you compare it to the Ford fans that move more air.

Exactly. Hell I'm running a crown vic fan and you cant even tell its on. Only way you can tell is if you stand in front of the truck and listen closely.

I got fans and shroud from a LT1 F body (93-97) for two of these trucks (including my current one) and they fit great. I made some simple brackets for the top and the bottom fit into the shroud like it was made for it. I used a flexalite control kit for this setup, but the last one I just ran to a toggle switch. I just towed a 55 Pontiac about 45 miles on my equipment trailer and the truck never ran hotter than it does just driving down the highway.

Same with my setup. And thats pulling a double axle with a huge Subaru Transmitted Infection on the back.
You must be registered for see images attach

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have pics of that crown victory setup?
You must be registered for see images attach

From when I was installing it.

You have to offset the fan by a couple inches which requires grinding off the factory mounts on the driver side so you'll clear the water pump. Also depending on how you shoose to mount the fan you will have to drill into the shroud so keep that in mind. Crown vic fans are a one piece deal so its a fan and shroud combo.

Also, you want to use a fan from a 98-02. Civilian or police model, the fans are the same. 98-02 are two speed for 03+ you'll need a fan speed controller since they are variable speed.

Yes I know I need to make a rad cover. I'm getting to it.