dummy cats on my 97 7.4??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
OK First Off Thanks for all the info in the forum. This is my first post
and really need info or so advise. I have a 97 crew cab 3500 7.4.. I use this truck to move my 5th wheel to Fl back to Oh.
on the way down my front cat was so hot it was making the floor smoke under the seat, I have not done any heat test or anything
but im sure it has stoped up , because last fall I put new muller back exhast week later I could her it rattling in the back cat.
Ok as most you gear heads know the factory replace cost around 900 bucks. I would like to clean them out No problems for me to pass inspection
because we have none.(The post is dragging on at this point) Will my puter run the truck or will it blow codes out the pipe all the time?
Any help advise anything im open to any help...

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The computer will throw a code but other than that no issues should arise. Basically the code means that your cats are failing to function.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
I punched the cats on my 96 7.4 its stupid loud with the true dual flowmaster super 44s... only had it throw a 02 sensor code once cleared it and never came back you can also have the rear 02 sensors tunes out with a custom tune

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Cat converters usually get into an overheat condition when they are dealing with an overly rich mixture.

I would pull the dtc's first to see what's potentially lurking in there.

Heavily overheated converters are usually ruined, but you should find out if you have a rich condition or a sensor failure going on first....

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some people say you gut the cat then you have more flow a ***** makes you run rich...they are fir off road use only, but you can get them put on your truck like I did,I think they are called enrichers or something starring with an e..maybe Simone on here can elaborate..but anyways I got my cats taken off, straight pipe put on..enrichers which basically put the 02 synsers an inch and a half higher.my truck has not thrown a code since..also I have xpipe to two long cherry bombs th at end right before the axle..

Tapatapatalk

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Some people say you gut the cat then you have more flow a ***** makes you run rich...they are fir off road use only, but you can get them put on your truck like I did,I think they are called enrichers or something starring with an e..maybe Simone on here can elaborate..but anyways I got my cats taken off, straight pipe put on..enrichers which basically put the 02 synsers an inch and a half higher.my truck has not thrown a code since..also I have xpipe to two long cherry bombs th at end right before the axle..

Tapatapatalk

Extensions I believe is the word you're looking for. Like these??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-Oxygen-S...pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item4612217293&vxp=mtr

I used them when I deleted my cats. Worked great! Computer didn't throw any codes.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
You can get spark plug anti doulers install them on the o2 does the same thing works.great

Adam

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ok iI pulled the two codes they are PO 300 and PO 237

300 is misfire detected, 237 makes no sense as it is a turbo boost sensor circuit low.

I would possibly look into the misfire (could be as simple as an old cap and rotor) and ignore the turbo code.

Misfire could make a cat run hot as it is allowing raw burnable mixture to escape right into the cat on the exhaust stroke. Cats are not designed to deal with a stoich mixture, only exhaust gases. This would make it run very hot.

Misfire detected could also be very infrequent which is not that unusual. Problem is: the simple code readers don't tell you anything other than the code. You can't pull freeze frame data to see if it's happening a lot or a little.

I would suggest you clear the codes and see if they return after a little drive cycle. If the misfire returns, I would have a closer look at things....

Last edited:

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score