dummy cats on my 97 7.4??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I seen that before .The oil for oil burners ....I checked the codes again after a small ride , po327, po300 thanks in advance for all the replies and advise.. Monty

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
327 makes more sense. Knock sensor voltage low.

Indicates a problem in your knock sensor system.

This could lead to an over advanced condition as the PCM will add timing until it "hears" knock and then pull it back a bit. This could also account for the random misfire code.

Might be worth a look into the wiring and sensor and maybe a bit deeper troubleshooting.

Here's a brief blurb that describes it fairly well: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0327

Fairly generic, but a good start if you want to check the knock circuit.

Actron has a decent site for OBDII code look up: http://www.actron.com/faq_detail.php?pid=16298&id=14

Everything from basic Powertrain codes to the enhanced codes. Good thing is you get the GM definitions for year, model, type and powertrain instead of the generic OBDII definitions most web sites have.

You could also have kind of a "circle jerk" going on here:

Knock sensor circuit goes bad, causes the misfire fault, ruins the cat, which stuffs up the exhaust, which causes a misfire and the cycle just feeds on itself.

This is why it is important to find the root cause of problems. Throwing on a straight pipe or new cat could be fixing a symptom, not the problem.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks again for the help My reader shows the two codes. was thinking back a few weeks ago it was very slow to respond on take off. Just looked and seen someone has broke the bolts off the cap and the distributor is loose..could be the whole problem i guess.. need to find one i guess. sorry for posting all in one thread maybe i should start a new one

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
thanks again for the help My reader shows the two codes. was thinking back a few weeks ago it was very slow to respond on take off. Just looked and seen someone has broke the bolts off the cap and the distributor is loose..could be the whole problem i guess.. need to find one i guess. sorry for posting all in one thread maybe i should start a new one

Busted cap retainer/loose dist sure could be your misfire code.

No worries, glad to lend a hand.

Check for your knock sensor code after you replace the cap....

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Loose distributor is not a good thing, your timing will be all over the map as it moves around, and the computer will be trying to rectify the problem. I would get the timing set correctly and install a new cap and rotor on the distributor at the same time.

Reaction score
Update

Good Afternoon. Thanks Again. I Found Out My Front Cat Is Plugged. Second Cat Is Empty. Looked Around On Cl Last Night. CLMember has a full exhaust Off 1998 ex Cab Mine Is Crew cab, but I got from Motor back complete for $50 Bucks. Both cats are clean and full. has ALL senzors with it. Mine has had the flange between the convertors welded so im going swap the convertors out and weld my 2 into 2 flowmaster back on them.. As For the distributor both the cap bolts are broke off. Any one Knoe Of a fix for this ? THE Owner Before Had IT Zip tied on . no wonder all the problems

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good Afternoon. Thanks Again. I Found Out My Front Cat Is Plugged. Second Cat Is Empty. Looked Around On Cl Last Night. CLMember has a full exhaust Off 1998 ex Cab Mine Is Crew cab, but I got from Motor back complete for $50 Bucks. Both cats are clean and full. has ALL senzors with it. Mine has had the flange between the convertors welded so im going swap the convertors out and weld my 2 into 2 flowmaster back on them.. As For the distributor both the cap bolts are broke off. Any one Knoe Of a fix for this ? THE Owner Before Had IT Zip tied on . no wonder all the problems

Yes you replace the whole distributor, only proper way to fix it.

Reaction score
update on truck

when i was replacing the cap an butteon ,i found both bolts was broke and they had zip ties to hold it secure. I didnt have extra money to enstall new one yet, an i still wanted to find my problem out. after dist, was on the bench i came up with a very nice fix. took out bolts on cap on my old cap.... under my work bench was a old style chevy cap that has the push down and turn screws, took them out installed them in old cap (HAD TO REDRILL THE CAP HOLES BIGGER) stuck cap on and marked it on the dist.... driled me to holes under the screws below the cap to screw driver an turn them to lock rhem on place works great. after a day on and off work I have the truck back up and running fine. change wires and plugs cap button rescaned after a 20 mile ride no codes and cats our cleaned out also. Thanks everyone. i have pics of the reworking of the cap if anyone else runs into the same problem
Monty