Drop Spindles or Control Arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWCO

Reaction score
Looking at different kits and wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are between the two methods. I've done a couple of trucks using spindles and springs but have never done a truck with control arms and springs. What are the advantages of going one way over other? The truck is a 89 chevy regular cab stepside.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drop spindles and springs is way better for geometry in the suspension

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I havent spoken with anyone that dropped a pre-96 interior (if that makes any difference) but they've all told me that spindles and control arms retain near factory ride quality since you're keeping the stock spring length. Aftermarket springs tend to be tighter than factory from what I've heard and so your ride with be much stiff in turns and on bumps. But it's your vehicle. I was also told that with factory rims and drop spindles, you will have some slight rubbing on the control arm, which is remedied by getting tubular control arms, just as a heads up.

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 98 has drop spindles, you can trim the drip rails on the arms for 15s my understanding is 16+ don't require trimming, or very few 16s
The problem is at full lock the rim rubs it and creates the issue

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 has drop spindles, you can trim the drip rails on the arms for 15s my understanding is 16+ don't require trimming, or very few 16s
The problem is at full lock the rim rubs it and creates the issue

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2
Well I personally plan to run 17s down the road, but I'll be lowered before then. Maybe you can post a picture of the trimming if you have one?

EDIT: Found some control arm notching pics from someotherguy in the 4/5 drop thread.

Last edited:

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're not supposed to run drop springs with drop arms. It causes serious wear on the lower balljoints and can lead to failure. I know of several people who have run drop springs with drop arms (myself included). Most of them had complete balljoint failure at some point and a few of them had a balljoint fail while driving. I got lucky and caught my balljoints wearing out before they failed and got them replaced, but they were bad.

If you're going to run in combination with drop springs, stick with the spindles.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're not supposed to run drop springs with drop arms. It causes serious wear on the lower balljoints and can lead to failure. I know of several people who have run drop springs with drop arms (myself included). Most of them had complete balljoint failure at some point and a few of them had a balljoint fail while driving. I got lucky and caught my balljoints wearing out before they failed and got them replaced, but they were bad.

If you're going to run in combination with drop springs, stick with the spindles.

Well what about drop spindles and drop arms?