Control Arm Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhammond

Reaction score
I have been going back and forth on spindles vs springs to lower my truck 2/4.

Because I have a 15x8 wheel, I thinking I will go with control arms and coil overs.

Any suggestions on going with this setup?

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Out Back you may find a 4” isn’t enough and you need a c notch etc. I would do the front first then the rear as needed. In my humble opinion if you really want a 4/6 drop then di that from the start

rhammond

Reaction score
Thanks all. So, for coilovers with stock control arms, it seems that Alden and QA1 make them for our trucks.

Is it worth going with only springs? Or do I go all in on a new control arm setup from RideTech?

I am pretty stuck on a 2/4 drop at this point. I will eventually go with a C-notch as it gets used a lot for hauling dirt bikes and some equipment for my company.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the general consensus from those of us dedicated to the lowlife is that a 2/4 is a waste of time and effort, flip the axle, notch it and run helper bags if you want to use it like a truck still. Control arms are more expensive than spindles, but some prefer the ride they give. @95burban has opinions on this.
@sewlow @someotherguy and @fancyTBI can also offer experience based suggestions and tips.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't get caught up in the 15" wheel thing and spindles. Worse case scenario is you use Belltech (or clones) and they push the wheel out a bit. All you have to do is trim the lower control arms for clearance. No big deal. I don't think anyone here has heard of any failures due to this. Guys and gals have been doing it for 30+ years on these trucks. And not once have I heard of any issues.

And unless you have a real good reason to only go 4", just do the 6" flip. Soooooo much less work. Those front hangers are what makes doing the 4" so difficult.

And then you will drive for a while thinking, you know....I could have gone that 2" lower and be ok. Then you have to redo a whole bunch more work, try and find your stock hangers in the garbage can, only to find out your kid actually took the trash out the one time you didn't want him to! Then you are trying to find replacements.

As @618 Syndicate said, helper bags of you need it yo do truck stuff.
Not trying to poop on your parade, but a lot of people have gone the route you are planning, only to find out the hard way it wasn't the one they wanted to travel.

But either way....we are here to help!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

This is all the trimming required.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Orpedcrow seems to like his drop arms.

I wish I could have gotten arms for my C2500. They just don’t exist unless it’s something heavily modified.

I’m glad I got DJM spindles for my truck. If I went Belltech the wheels would’ve fit even worse due to spindle design.

rhammond

Reaction score
Thanks so much, @Drunkcanuk and @618 Syndicate, for the information. In my personal opinion, I don't love the look of an extended cab with a 4/6. I think it needs just a little. It's one of the reasons I'm only considering a 2/4.

Appreciate everyone's replies and the feedback. I don't have any great plans for this truck outside of refreshed paint and an LS swap.

Sorta looking around for another 1998 single cab that I have more extensive plans for.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that's a fairly good reason to wanna go 2/4, not all of us have the same taste, that's what makes this fun!!!
And the 2/4 will be more noticable on an extended cab vs reg for sure.