Control Arm Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much, @Drunkcanuk and @618 Syndicate, for the information. In my personal opinion, I don't love the look of an extended cab with a 4/6. I think it needs just a little. It's one of the reasons I'm only considering a 2/4.

Appreciate everyone's replies and the feedback. I don't have any great plans for this truck outside of refreshed paint and an LS swap.

Sorta looking around for another 1998 single cab that I have more extensive plans for.
If it just needs a little, run a 2" shackle on the rear, and leave the front alone. It'll sit level.
Hangers absolutely suck to do, and a 4" drop is never low enough. It's stuck in no man's land between stock and dropped, it looks halfway dropped. Several of us have been lowering these trucks since they were new, and lowriding since squarebodies were current inventory. Learn from our experience...

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it just needs a little, run a 2" shackle on the rear, and leave the front alone. It'll sit level.
Hangers absolutely suck to do, and a 4" drop is never low enough. It's stuck in no man's land between stock and dropped, it looks halfway dropped. Several of us have been lowering these trucks since they were new, and lowriding since squarebodies were current inventory. Learn from our experience...
He will learn by doing hangers then doing it again. Just as the elders have done before us. Tradition!!

rhammond

Reaction score
@618 Syndicate , that is probably an even better way to go. Just go with the 2" shackle. But I'm a stubborn SOB. I'm still dropping the front 2. haha. Worst-case scenario, I hate it. Meh.

so ill try to swing back to my original thought. should I go full ridetech front? or just Alden coilovers?

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hate spindles. I would run a djm 2in drop arm and a shackle/hanger kit from belltech in the rear.

Spindles push out the wheels, while it might seem minimal if you ever follow a truck from behind it will look like its dog tracking down the road, and of course you have to trim your control arms.

If you do drop control arms, you get new bushings, ball joint and you keep factory track width.

2/4 drop looks great, especially on a set of 275/60s

rhammond

Reaction score
Thanks @95burban .

Track width is one of the reasons I'm skipping on spindles. although, from what I've researched, React Suspension seems to keep the same track width, but I am very much caught up on my 15 inch wheels and not really wanting to trim the LCA.

Any negatives about DJM? I've heard they're not the best. No real reason as to why the comment was made, though.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do love my control arms. The only issue I’ve seen repeated with DJM is the quality of their powder coat. If your suspension is wore out in the front it just makes sense to replace the control arms. Factory comfy ride with full travel. The uppers correct any geometry differences made by lowering.

You must be registered for see images attach

3/4 with 275/60-15. Djm 3” drop lower control arms. DJM uppers. DJM shackles and hangers.

rhammond

Reaction score
I do love my control arms. The only issue I’ve seen repeated with DJM is the quality of their powder coat. If your suspension is wore out in the front it just makes sense to replace the control arms. Factory comfy ride with full travel. The uppers correct any geometry differences made by lowering.

You must be registered for see images attach

3/4 with 275/60-15. Djm 3” drop lower control arms. DJM uppers. DJM shackles and hangers.
i think this looks amazing. id say exactly what I wanted more or less.

With the DJM arms, use stock shocks or new front shocks?

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think this looks amazing. id say exactly what I wanted more or less.

With the DJM arms, use stock shocks or new front shocks?

Stock replacement shocks in the front!
It could maybe use lower shock extensions or shorter shocks in the rear. But I hit the bump stops before I bottom the shocks