DRL - did all Suburbans have it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
My understanding is that the vehicles built outside the US plants ( Canada and Mexico at least) had the daytime running lights (DRLs). Both of our 99 Burbs were built in the Silao, Mexico plant complex and both had them. I've also seen/driven Canadian built GM vehicles that had them. In my experience, whenever the ignition key/switch is in Run, they're on. Putting it in Start shuts them off temporarily, just like any other lights or accessories. The green indicator light on the instrument cluster is illuminated when the DRLs are on, even if they're not actually lighting up. I'll get a picture of this later today, once it's light. When the headlight switch is turned all the way to where the headlights and taillights are on, then the green indicator light goes off. If you just have the marker/taillights on, the DRLs should still be on, and the green indicator light should be on.
The box is under the dash,in a rather difficult place for me to get to( I got to it and replaced/ relocated it a little bit on our first 99 Burb). It would work,and then not work for a while, then work again for a while, just like this Burb does. Replacing the relay didn't really fix the problem on the other one, so I am in no hurry to mess with it on this one. Maybe when I get to work on the center stack stuff, it might be more accessible then? My body isn't as flexible as it used to be so I don't dig under dash work!

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you look in your owners, not service manual, but in your vehicles owner manual there is a section explaining DRL operation. I know this from lady came in " saying my friend says my daytime drive lights are burn out" . i don't remember why, but i asked if she had the owner guide. She handed it over and showed her " vehicle in drive headlights switch off, daytime lights on. Headlight switch on no DRL. Headlights off vehicle in nuetral or park no DRL. If you have an owners manual and have a question, ya might take chance, a risky chance ya might have the answer in your hands. Good luck.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you look in your owners, not service manual, but in your vehicles owner manual there is a section explaining DRL operation. I know this from lady came in " saying my friend says my daytime drive lights are burn out" . i don't remember why, but i asked if she had the owner guide. She handed it over and showed her " vehicle in drive headlights switch off, daytime lights on. Headlight switch on no DRL. Headlights off vehicle in nuetral or park no DRL. If you have an owners manual and have a question, ya might take chance, a risky chance ya might have the answer in your hands. Good luck.
RTFM - in other words - or letters!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My understanding is that the vehicles built outside the US plants ( Canada and Mexico at least) had the daytime running lights (DRLs). Both of our 99 Burbs were built in the Silao, Mexico plant complex and both had them. I've also seen/driven Canadian built GM vehicles that had them. In my experience, whenever the ignition key/switch is in Run, they're on. Putting it in Start shuts them off temporarily, just like any other lights or accessories. The green indicator light on the instrument cluster is illuminated when the DRLs are on, even if they're not actually lighting up. I'll get a picture of this later today, once it's light. When the headlight switch is turned all the way to where the headlights and taillights are on, then the green indicator light goes off. If you just have the marker/taillights on, the DRLs should still be on, and the green indicator light should be on.
The box is under the dash,in a rather difficult place for me to get to( I got to it and replaced/ relocated it a little bit on our first 99 Burb). It would work,and then not work for a while, then work again for a while, just like this Burb does. Replacing the relay didn't really fix the problem on the other one, so I am in no hurry to mess with it on this one. Maybe when I get to work on the center stack stuff, it might be more accessible then? My body isn't as flexible as it used to be so I don't dig under dash work!
Thanks HWB but don't trouble yourself with taking a photo. I'm happy that with so many components removed from my 'Burb that the DRLs won't work. I only wanted to know about the system in case it was contributing to my headlamp switch heating up (it only heated up with headlights on - not park lights). I've no intention of trying to get DRLs to work and if I did try, the low beam would be at full intensity (4-Hi relay mod) and I can just switch low beam on myself if I want them on.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Thanks HWB but don't trouble yourself with taking a photo. I'm happy that with so many components removed from my 'Burb that the DRLs won't work. I only wanted to know about the system in case it was contributing to my headlamp switch heating up (it only heated up with headlights on - not park lights). I've no intention of trying to get DRLs to work and if I did try, the low beam would be at full intensity (4-Hi relay mod) and I can just switch low beam on myself if I want them on.
I got to thinking more after I put the phone up to charge, that probably another reason your Burb may not have the green indicator light is since your cluster is different ( the white face).

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
HWB, My Burb was built in Texas, for the US market and absolutely had the DRLs.
Interesting! I had been told that the DRLs we're for export models, and that may have been so at first. By 98-99 though they were probably just trying to get all the old parts out of inventory....every 99 Burb I've seen is well optioned. I've had 2, and friends have had several that year as well ( funny thing too, they've all been pewter!).
These trucks do travel a bit. Yours is from the Arlington assembly plant (near Dallas/Fort Worth) and ended up in Ontario, and mine are naturalized Mexicans. But even living in Texas all my life, the only vehicles my family has had from that plant is the 811 Monte Carlo my mom had when my brother was born (parked at 35,000 miles with a bad cooling system and eventually sold) and I think my dad's 55 Bel Air was from there. It was originally sold at Doran Chevrolet in Dallas, so I figure it was a locally made car. Back then that was more common.

Last edited:

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got to thinking more after I put the phone up to charge, that probably another reason your Burb may not have the green indicator light is since your cluster is different ( the white face).
The white face is a stuck on thing to read mph (originally in kmh - odometer and trip still are) and it crossed my mind the green light might just have been covered over but just had a look and there's a cut-out for it.
I've no idea why DRL was deleted or was never there - maybe a 'stealth' thing for its early life with the UN or maybe just removed for the same reason the fuse for the MAF sensor and O2 sensors was! The electric locking for the barn doors was also disabled - maybe a security measure connected to its earlier life.

Above the rev counter, between the 4 and 5?

You must be registered for see images attach

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
In the video, what is that below the heater controls (with an 'eject' button)? I just have an oddments space there (where I have my AFR gauge). Am I missing something?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In the video, what is that below the heater controls (with an 'eject' button)? I just have an oddments space there (where I have my AFR gauge). Am I missing something?

Factory AUX CD player, it connects to the factory radio inside the dash. I'm kind of surprised that you don't have one, I thought most of the '95+ trucks that came with tape decks in the main radio also had the AUX CD.