DRL - did all Suburbans have it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the DRLS come on with the ignition in RUN and the shifter out of park.... the green light will light up on the dash.
...and the parking brake off. If you barely set your parking brake on, you can defeat the DRLs.

Don't the 'repeaters' on the fenders do that? Or don't you have them?
We don't have them. We need them, but I do like the clean fenders we have compared to European fenders.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you know what drives me crazy..... the fact that there are no laws requiring turn signals to be viewed from the side of a vehicle and only on the front. this is a North American wide law and it needs to be changed.

anything on the side of a vehicle is not done so by law.... but yes. theres tiny ones on the mazda we have here. almost smaller than a reflector on a bicycle.
My Suburban has them - and it aint a Mazda! Your GMT400 doesn't have them?
the DRL come on with the ignition in RUN and the shifter out of park.... the green light will light up on the dash.
I've never seen a green light on the dash and they don't as far as I know come on externally. I will check as possibly I have never been outside the truck when not in park.
theres a heatsink like module under the drivers side the dash on the right. if you unplug this, DRL'S wont work anymore and neither will the green light on the dash.

if you just pull the DRL fuse they wont work anymore but the green light will be on the dash.

DRL illuminate the low beam headlights at half power or something like that. no other lights come on.
But I think they have been deleted. What switches them off for darkness - switching on park or headlamps?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
all gm vehicles have side viewed turn signals. they just built it into the grill/front end.... it's a complaint I have for all new vehicles... I dont think its safe at all.

I think you should be able to see turn signals from the side of a vehicle while standing close to it, around the middle somewhere. that's how gm designed our trucks, they just did so on their own. it's not a legal requirement.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick way to tell is pull your dash fuse panel on the driver side and look for the drl fuse

Attachments

• 20211109_103937.jpg
    20211109_103937.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211109_103926.jpg
    20211109_103926.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211109_103901.jpg
    20211109_103901.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 9

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll check tomorrow. Almost certain I've never been outside the truck with ignition in run, not in park and park brake off - hills see to that. I haven't noticed them reflected (shop windows, etc) either but I do usually run with park lights on during the day - does that switch DRLs off or is it headlamps that does?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
all because one province in Canada requires them? LMAO it's also one of the smallest and has a very small population.

I'm sure there are places in the US that require DRL but I am unfamiliar with them.

after doing the 4 high and low mods I pulled the fuses from both trucks.

I however want to make my own DRL circuit but put it on a switch and use some different lights, not the headlights.
I have often thought about disconnecting the output wire from the DRL box under the dash, and wiring in something different. That way, all you would have to do, is wire in whatever you want to the output wire, and run that to a relay as a switch wire. As an example, you could get a set of halo headlights, and make the Halo section your DRLs.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They stay on constant until you physically turn on the headlights. Makes them brighter
I haven't done research to figure out is the DRL box just turns off when you turn on the headlights. I do know this though. When I did my 4 headlight mod, and saw how much brighter my headlights were in high, I add a 2ed relay to the system rite off of the battery like I did on the 4 high mod, and used the OE low beam wire as my swiths wire for the newly added relay. So now all of my headlights run off of relays on a much bigger wire as a supply, directly off of the battery. The improvement in how bright the headlights are, is huge over the OE set up. I told Al @thegawd about this several years ago, and he did the same to his. Only thing is, the DRL system has enough current to switch on the relay, so I had to pull the fuse for the DRLs to avoid the low beams being on all of the time.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't done research to figure out is the DRL box just turns off when you turn on the headlights. I do know this though. When I did my 4 headlight mod, and saw how much brighter my headlights were in high, I add a 2ed relay to the system rite off of the battery like I did on the 4 high mod, and used the OE low beam wire as my swiths wire for the newly added relay. So now all of my headlights run off of relays on a much bigger wire as a supply, directly off of the battery. The improvement in how bright the headlights are, is huge over the OE set up. I told Al @thegawd about this several years ago, and he did the same to his. Only thing is, the DRL system has enough current to switch on the relay, so I had to pull the fuse for the DRLs to avoid the low beams being on all of the time.
I'm not sure on the answer to that. I've always thought it turns off since the green light turns off. I've disconnected mine years ago and prefer the park lights as a drl