'89 C3500 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jm101

Reaction score
The time has come, and the decision has been made to fix up my old work truck. At least well enough to keep it alive a while a longer.

I picked this truck up a bunch of years ago and have run it hard since. I have wanted to upgrade it to a 4wd rig, meaning buy a replacement truck. However after looking at way too many, I haven't found my unicorn. In the meantime this truck's engine is getting more and more tired, subtle knocking and low oil pressure at idle. I found a seemingly good condition used engine out of a '90 that was wrecked, so I am going to swap it into my rig.

Nothing much planned, fresh gasket set, motor mounts, trans mount, perhaps a fresh oil pump. At least a new pump drive rod.

Most everything bolted onto my engine is reasonably new, cooling system, starter, alternator, intake and exhaust manifolds.

If you folks have any other thoughts on what things should get done while I am in there feel free to inform me. I have been driving 400 trucks since around 2005, but there is always more to learn.
You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this truck's engine is getting more and more tired, subtle knocking and low oil pressure at idle. I found a seemingly good condition used engine out of a '90 that was wrecked, so I am going to swap it into my rig.
You have a 454. What engine is going in? Another 454? Have you heard it run?

I would perform a cranking compression test, and a cylinder leakdown test while the "new" engine is still on the assembly stand, before it's installed--but with the valve covers removed. You'll need to attach a battery and cables to the starter motor, and of course the ground cable to the engine block somewhere convenient. This should confirm that the valves and compression rings are in decent condition, and all the rockers move about the same amount (no flat cam lobes.) Doesn't do much for the oil-control rings, though. You'll have to look at the spark plugs; and the valve stems when the intake manifold is removed to see about oil-burning.

Most everything bolted onto my engine is reasonably new, cooling system, starter, alternator, intake and exhaust manifolds.

If you folks have any other thoughts on what things should get done while I am in there feel free to inform me.
Flush coolant including pulling the block drain plugs on the "new-to-you" engine. I replace plain iron plugs with brass draincocks on my own vehicles. If the 454 has a knock sensor or two screwed into the block drain holes, you'll have to seal and torque the knock sensor(s) back in.

Assure that the timing set is in good condition.

Verify all fluids and filters--air filter, fuel filter, PCV filter (if used), charcoal canister filter (if used), and so forth. Good time to flush the trans fluid and replace the trans filter. Same for flushing the PS fluid, and perhaps installing a PS filter in the return hose. Consider fresh lube in the differential. Repack and adjust front wheel bearings as needed--that's becoming a lost art. Nobody thinks about packable wheel bearings any more.

When was the last time the brakes were inspected? Brake fluid flushed including at the bleeder screw on the RWAL unit?

If the A/C works, leak-test A/C when you're done. If it doesn't work, when the engine is out, is the time to replace any defective parts, the accumulator/desiccant, the orifice tube, and EVERY O-ring in the system.