Driveline slop

Discussion in 'Transfer Cases' started by 93yukon, Nov 23, 2016.

1. 93yukon

93yukon Newbie

I have a 93 yukon 2 door with a 241 case and am having some issues. when I shift from park to reverse it clunks. it also clunks if I am stopped at a light and take off being very easy on it. I checked universals and there is no play. trans mount has no play when I pry on it with a pry bar. pinion on rear has no up and down or in and out movement. is there something else I should check to determine what the cause is? I was thinking it was my transfer case chain but it does it in 2 wheel so I'm not sure any input would be appreciated and I will check everything people say I just don't want a complete failure while driving and am willing to fix it myself

2. michael hurd

michael hurd Stalker be gone.

It is relatively normal in higher mileage vehicles, nothing to worry about.

3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy I'm Awesome

Try greasing the slip yoke coming out of the tcase, you have to pull the rear shaft to do this, but it's really not that difficult.

93yukon likes this.
  4. df2x4

df2x4 Domestics only.

5. 93yukon

93yukon Newbie

Well I notice now I have vibration under load only. on a coast it's fine. does this help narrow me down any?

6. aaronb

aaronb I'm Awesome

Have the u-joints ever been replaced?
    I know you said no play,but they may be on their way out. also, in the tailshaft behind the seal There is a bushing that the slip yoke rides on. I'd remove the driveshaft from the rear end while leaving the slip yoke in the tailshaft and see if you have any play with that.
    I had some slop in mine and had some scarring on the bushing with a small amount of play.after I replaced that,no more vibration. I'll have to dig up the part number for the bushing. A lot of your part stores don't have the right bushing. I got mine from summit racing.

93yukon likes this.
  7. BoxerPitMix

BoxerPitMix Chris

Beat me to it. Like they said above - I'd check Ujoints, etc first.

That driveline slop drove me nuts. From a dead stop it would always "clunk" really loud when I took off. That yoke fixed it.

I'd try pulling the front yoke out of the transfer case and greasing it. It's only a temporary fix, but if it goes away you'll at least know what the cause is.

That yoke I found for $102.22 at this place
    http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/40032054-aam-oe-gm-3r-slip-yoke-nickel-plated-32-spline/

8. 93yukon

93yukon Newbie

Thanks!!! I was thinking it could be the bushing I'll have to pull it apart this weekend and check it out to see what's up. I plan on replacing all 4 u joints at some point. My only problem is I don't have a vice so it isn't going to be easy.

9. 93yukon

93yukon Newbie

What grease should I use on the slip? Lithium or moly? I have seen like 4 or five different opinions.

10. 93yukon

93yukon Newbie

If you please would dig me up the bushing part number I'd be thrilled! what does it take to replace that bushing? tail shaft housing removal? will I need other seals etc? I have never taken a transfer case apart so I have no idea what is entangled in doing that job.