Driveline slop

Discussion in 'Transfer Cases' started by 93yukon, Nov 23, 2016.

1. aaronb

aaronb I'm Awesome

I'll go through my receipts when I get home. the tailshaft is held on by 4 bolts. I'd also get the seal for the tailshaft. I used a socket that was the same size as the bushing from the inside and knocked it out. I used the same socket to install it. a bearing seal and race install tool would better; which you can rent from most part stores.

93yukon likes this.
  2. 93yukon

93yukon Newbie

Cool thanks!! Will I have to reseal the tail shaft housing?

3. 93yukon

93yukon Newbie

I know I have sockets and such big enough...what year and model is your truck? I just am not sure which bushing I'll need and size output shaft I have whether it's 27 or 31 spline and if mine is the same or not as ypurs

4. Fuzzy

Fuzzy I'm Awesome

I used Moly in mine, haven't had any issues with it.

If your truck is an Automatic it'll be 27 Spline, if it's Manual or 4L80E it'll be 32 Spline.

If your U-Joints are original (check for the nylon dots on the sides) I would replace those as well.

5. 93yukon

93yukon Newbie

Nylon dots? You mean the Nylon factory retainers that you have to melt out? Nope don't have those...they are clipped...

6. aaronb

aaronb I'm Awesome

Part number for the bushing is mgr - wt-297-62. that's the summit part number. I'm on mobile otherwise I'd copy the link.

7. Fuzzy

Fuzzy I'm Awesome

Yep, dots referring to what you would see looking at it. Probably not a U-Joint issue then.

8. aaronb

aaronb I'm Awesome

Yes, reseal the tail housing. I just used a bead of black Rtv around the outer edge

9. 93yukon

93yukon Newbie

Now my next dilemma is the part # you gave me. I'm not sure we have the same transfer case...I don't know what I have but it's a floor shift mated to a 4l60e. I tried looking it up by my rpo codes but didn't have anything listed as a transfer case as any of my codes. where can I find the case model? on the back of the case on the circle tag right?

10. 93yukon

93yukon Newbie

I still wouldn't rule them out yet...I'm planning on getting a full set and redoing them front to back as they are cheap enough to buy...that and I'm getting a vice so I can replace them hahaha