drive shaft getting shaved???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats up fellas, to start my truck is a 1990 gmc c1500 RCSB 4.3l tbi with 700r4 dropped 5/8 on 22's...so my trucks tranny took a dump on me friday and i took it to a shop to get replaced, upon lifting my truck they realized, 1. i need to shorten my drive shaft its causing a lot of torque i think he said on the tranny, and 2. I've had this awful scrape noise when I'm driving and hit a bump, well now i know what it was! My drive shaft hits the bottom of the middle bar under the bed! heres a pic
You must be registered for see images attach

any way to solve this other than lifting my truck or lifting my bed?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This is a bit of overkill & it's over the rear pumpkin, but you get the idea.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea on my rear one since i made an under bed step notch thats completely removed. but i guess ill just cut it right there and have a little brace welded just to be safe, cool thanks!

and as for the drive shaft needing to be cut how much or how should i measure to cut it? ima take it to a shop to get it done but how much should be cut?

camoburban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on how much slack you have in the slip yoke.
Put your rear axle at full drop and make sure you have enough spline contact between the drive shaft and the tranny.
Snap a pic of where the driveshaft goes into the trans and post it.

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any body know how much to chop? Also when i put it in drive and give it gas something goes *clank*

214martin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a bit of overkill & it's over the rear pumpkin, but you get the idea.

Hey sewlow i know im bumping my old thread here but never got around to doing this lol. But im about to put a major sound system in the truck and this needs to be taken care of. Can i just cut the brace with a jigsaw or something and leave it like that or do i have to close it up by welding it?
Thanks man