Don't know what to try next

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, he's back and I am nervous. I am really hoping this works. I have a lot of money tied up in this truck. I could never get back what I have in it. I have to get at least a couple of years use out of it before I will feel like I got my money's worth. The guy took one look at the IAC and said it was bad. Comparing the new one to the old one I can see what he meant. The plunger is stuck in the out position on the old one.

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you try to push yours in? if it's stuck out it could cause problems not letting air in or whatever it does, air in or out I would guess air in since it's idle air control. You may want to check your plugs if it's not letting air in at idle it could have fouled them out or tried to.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's definitely stuck out. Like you, my guess is that this means it was cutting off air flow, much in the same way a closed butterfly on a carb throttle would cause the engine to shut off. He's almost done. I should be hearing my t-ruck fire up in a few minutes.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I hear the sweet sound of dual exhaust coming from my driveway. It sounds real good too. Better than it has since I got this truck. We're gonna let it heat up a little bit and then he's gonna take it fo a ride! He already tried putting it in gear and it did not shut off! Dat is a good sign! .

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have to do the reset procedure for the IAC being new? like you said before with it out and the key on, I forget now.

However have him to clear the computer before starting it up, unhook the battery for a few minutes one cable, or pull the ecm fuse or whatever.

too late, try it out and if nothing else if you have a problem reset the computer and retry it.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has to be reset? I didn't know that. He already took it out and called saying it is runnin like a new one.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. He reset the computer by disconnecting the battery, let it sit long enough to eat a couple slices of pizza, hooked it back up, fired the truck up, it ran like crap for a few seconds and shut off, he restarted it and now it's running just fine. I guess the problem has been solved. I sure appreciate all the help.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well if it worked and wasn't throwing codes he didn't have to reset it, but anytime I do any sensor work or something or have one unplugged or anything I clear it to make sure it knows it's working or hooked up or changed.

rico47635

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok. I drove the truck into town today to go to school (70 miles round trip) and it ran oh so much better than it has since I got it. However, the service engine soon light came on about 15 minutes into the trip. The truck didn't start running any differently when it came on, but it stayed on the rest of the way there. It did the same thing on the way home--about 15 minutes into the trip the light came on and stayed on. I thought this meant that the computer would give me a trouble code, but I got the all clear when I checked it. What can make the service engine soon light come on that isn't sensor related? Should I ignore it as long as the computer isn't giving me trouble codes?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check it for codes like is says wait for the 12 to stop flashing, it will flash 12 one time or maybe 3 times I forget then it starts to flash the codes, it will flash them 3 times then move on to the next one.

How are you checking for codes though? are you jumping the right terminals in the aldl to get them? are you doing it with the key on engine off or key on engine running?