Death Dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After rebuilding my engine with a cam i've realized that a cam upgrade is a can of worms.
I would suggest checking your compression and only go down the cam road if you need new head gaskets or a fresh top end. If not, I would leave the cam in and start looking for a supercharger on ebay, that is the most efficient way of making more power.
If you decide to replace the cam, you'll need the adjustable rocker setup, which isn't difficult to install nor expensive, though I wasn't able to use the poly locks as suggested, i guess the ones i got were too short, but there is a risk of the taller ones of clearing the valve covers.
You may also need new valve springs depending on cam.
And a tune, I've found, is not as easy or cheap as you would think :rofl:

Did you put in aftermarket pushrods or lifters?
Could be one of them are blocked, or a cam bearing isn't lined up with the oil hole.
Or as Tom mentioned silicon blocking an oil passage at the rear main, though you'd have like no oil pressure anywhere if that were the case.

I'm curious how the polylocks were too short? Didn't know that was possible.

Cam swaps do take some work, they're not without some messing around. I think a supercharger is the best bang for the buck, but they also come with headaches and should probably have tuning done. I know whipple has that add on stuff to avoid tuning, but I haven't heard great things about it.

If the cam is mild enough, you can let the fuel trims make up for the differences. But to really appreciate any of these mods a tune should be done. That 60s PE delay I keep mentioning is a huge hindrance.

Death, sorry I don't have any ideas of this. How long did you run It? What made you notice you weren't getting oil up there?

Death Dually 99

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm curious how the polylocks were too short? Didn't know that was possible.

Cam swaps do take some work, they're not without some messing around. I think a supercharger is the best bang for the buck, but they also come with headaches and should probably have tuning done. I know whipple has that add on stuff to avoid tuning, but I haven't heard great things about it.

If the cam is mild enough, you can let the fuel trims make up for the differences. But to really appreciate any of these mods a tune should be done. That 60s PE delay I keep mentioning is a huge hindrance.

Death, sorry I don't have any ideas of this. How long did you run It? What made you notice you weren't getting oil up there?
It broke a rocker stud couldn't figure out what caused it after replacing the stud started the engine with the valve cover off to watch the valve train

Stroked550

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it earlier but- do you have oil pressure at all? Possible bad oil pump or drive shaft not installed?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How long did you let it run with the valve cover off? That would be really ****** if it was a plugged galley.

So you're thinking the added friction from the lack of oil caused the broken stud?

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What makes you say that about a tune?
Maybe it's just me, i thought it'd be cheaper.
In my area the cheapest to have someone tune it for you is about $400.
Buy the app and cable to do it yourself starts at about $450 for the equipment.