CUSTOM Front Stabilizer bar Links

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many sets of "ordinary" sway-bar end links could you buy for $66 plus the cost of the rubber/Poly bushings?

Each set would probably last 10+ years, perhaps significantly longer than 10 years. In general, it's the rubber bushings that fail, not the steel hardware.
Lots. But they wouldn't look as cool, and I HATE rust. ;)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
How many sets of "ordinary" sway-bar end links could you buy for $66 plus the cost of the rubber/Poly bushings?

Each set would probably last 10+ years, perhaps significantly longer than 10 years. In general, it's the rubber bushings that fail, not the steel hardware.

I have to disagree with you on this. I've had the bolt fail, and when they don't outright break, the need to be cut for removal for other work, because of rust.
The OP did spend quite a bit, but they shouldn't rust, and I'd bet he would have spent even more if he had purchased something from one of the boutique suspension companies, that still may have rusted.

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This truck is not "low budget", and it's certainly not "spare no expense". The only thing most people put energy and money into is whatever they personally think is COOL. I enjoy making custom stuff, trying to improve on the GM engineer's designs. Really I'm doing this truck as my own personal art piece, for the experience of doing it. It will never be "done".

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This truck is not "low budget", and it's certainly not "spare no expense". The only thing most people put energy and money into is whatever they personally think is COOL. I enjoy making custom stuff, trying to improve on the GM engineer's designs. Really I'm doing this truck as my own personal art piece, for the experience of doing it. It will never be "done".
Good on ya mate, we share the same enthusiasm. There is nothing more rewarding than being able to make something from scratch and with your own hands. It doesn't matter if nobody ever sees it, you know it's there and that's all that counts.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look up salt induced chloride stress on stainless steel. That’s aside from SS being more brittle. Just food for thought.
“Stainless steel not a good idea if there is any chance of being exposed to salt, it can result in chloride stress corrosion/cracking. Best to steer clear of it for any parts where failure would compromise the integrity of important parts like suspension”.

Sometimes engineers come to conclusions based on evidence we haven’t even considered. But since I’m not an engineer, I can’t conclusively say this is or isn’t a good idea.
My TTX’s are holding up fine and I’m just outside of Boston, a similar winter hellhole.

You must be registered for see images attach

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Caman96, that's good to know, and nice pic! I bought a set of Mevotech TTX as well as the Supreme. The bolts just seemed so TINY on both sets. If either TTX or Supreme was anywhere close to the bolt diameter of the OEM links I would have just used them. If the blue Mevotech supreme bushings wear out I will try the green bushings from the TTX. We'll see.

Last edited:

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Of course, one wouldn't make the actual sway bar or a torsion bar out of stainless. Those are hardened for a specific elasticity. The links aren't designed to bend and spring back like that. They basically move from tension to compression longitudinally as the suspension moves. The bushings allow a change in angle without bending the link bolts. If one end was hard-bolted that would be a very different story. As many have said, a broken sway bar link doesn't immediately cause a crash.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So having beautiful end links, with all the attachments base metal eaten by corrosion.
1. Find an alternative to salt.
2. Rinse / flush salt residue off
3. Apply protective coatings to prevent corrosion

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So having beautiful end links, with all the attachments base metal eaten by corrosion.
1. Find an alternative to salt.
2. Rinse / flush salt residue off
3. Apply protective coatings to prevent corrosion
You're right, the end links will probably outlast the control arms.

1. Only way here = don't drive in winter. Not possible.
2. YES! Often as possible.
3. Can't paint stainless. Lots of anti-seize.

I painted the sway bar: Chipped off any flaky stuff and cleaned to bare metal with a grinder and coarse spinning wire brush. 2 coats etching primer, 2 coats sealer primer, 2 coats pewter color, 2 coats 2K catalyzed clear. I'll post a pic soon.
Planning the same treatment of the lower control arms. It's not possible to clean the inside unfortunately. They ARE in good shape though.