CUSTOM Front Stabilizer bar Links

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MOST stainless bolts are very weak. About the equivalent to Grade 2 hardware-store junk.

SOME stainless bolts are almost as strong as Grade 5. Not impossible to find, tend to be somewhat expensive.

DAMNED FEW stainless bolts are anywhere close to Grade 8, and they're wildly expensive.

Pretty-much any stainless bolt/nut will need anti-seize to prevent galling. Without it, stainless bolts tend to be "one-use" and have to be broken or cut to get them apart.

Stainless is not my first choice for that application. Regular Grade 5 is entirely suitable; although I like the crimped, all-steel lock nuts rather than Nyloc nuts.

"316" stainless bolts can range anywhere from about Grade 2 equivalent to slightly better than Grade 5 for tensile strength. It's difficult to know what you're buying, especially with Communist Crap infesting the bolt bins.

Yield strength sucks, though. At best, about the equivalent to Grade 2, but potentially much worse.

Last edited:

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When using S/Steel fasteners always use the same grades together, don't use 316 bolts with 304 washers etc or they will rust very quickly. Stainless steel still contains over 50% Iron so will rust when not used correctly. And as stated above common grades are quite malleable.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Given the OP has upped the size of the bolt, the fact that replacements are made super cheap to begin with, and consequences of breakage are low, I think this is a fine project. I so suggest anti-seize on the threads and under the sleeve. Taking these links apart is just about impossible, without cutting, after awhile.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not as informed on the metallurgy of stainless as some of the others so I won’t comment on strength, but I do know and agree that you’re gonna want to slather the tubes and washers in some kind of anti-sneeze.

They do look really nice though, and a broken end link won’t cause a catastrophic failure that results in a wreck so… I say run’em and if they don’t last you’ll just have to get the yellow grade 8 stuff :Big Laugh:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many sets of "ordinary" sway-bar end links could you buy for $66 plus the cost of the rubber/Poly bushings?

Each set would probably last 10+ years, perhaps significantly longer than 10 years. In general, it's the rubber bushings that fail, not the steel hardware.