Cunningham Machine Upper/Lower Steering Shafts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They're pretty helpful when you call them if you don't get things sorted by tomorrow... I can't remember how mine went. Just remember having to call them.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But I need to know should all gear box shaft flat spot be at the 12’o clock position with steering locked and wheels straight

Some (all?) steering gears have, by design, a "high spot" at 12 o'clock, where the "feel" is intentionally tighter when driving straight. That "high spot" exists for perhaps +-10 degrees of input shaft rotation ("steering wheel" rotation). If the steering gear shaft's not at 12 o'clock when driving straight, the "feel" won't be as it should when straight and through gentle turns.

I forget who told me this but I learned about it back in the mid-90s.

It was VERY evident to me when I once mis-adjusted a steering box on my '79 Camaro. Whatever I did caused a LOT of steering wheel drag when driving nearly straight. (I think I changed the sector shaft's adjustment -- that little "screw on top" -- naively)

The steering gear's shaft orientation can be aligned by tweaking the tie rod adjusters. Normally this requires no special attention, as by-design the steering wheel is aligned at 12 o'clock with the steering gear's input shaft... simply setting the steering alignment so that the steering wheel is at 12 o'clock will suffice to set the steering gear's input shaft at 12 o'clock.

Someone can probably explain this better than me. Maybe it's all explained in the FSM.

:popcorn:

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if your #2 Photo illustration is how you did it with the Cunningham set screw , but I’m fairly sure with the Cunningham lower shaft and splines being 360* degree splined with no flat spot on their shafts they say to lock their set screw in past the splines in the “Grooved channeled valley area of the gear box shaft “
This only pertains to Cunningham steering shafts afaik
Stock oem set screw may lock down on the flat area
Just my input and understanding.
You must be registered for see images attach
mine was is the channel that was just a picture to show with it being splined it can be orientated in any position
Unless I credit my front end alignment as the culprit .. I don’t see how everyone else’s gear box shaft is at the 12’oclock position by default when they remove the OEM Steering shaft for an upgrade .

When I parked my truck locked steering straight

Took off oem steering shaft

Slid the new U-joint shaft up to the gear box , as shown my flat spot on gear box shaft lands naturally at the
1-2 o’clock position that’s me looking down at it from the front engine bay.

With all that said and the steering locked in place the set screw on the Cunningham shaft naturally aligns to the left of the flat spot.
That could be from an alignment issue with tie rods .

It’s said that the correct set screw alignment for Cunningham steering shaft is in the “1” ✅ placement I marked in photo in the Grooved channel
Not on the flat spot “2” ❌

The flat spot indent i believe would be for a stock steering shaft and bolt ?

But I need to know should all gear box shaft flat spot be at the 12’o clock position with steering locked and wheels straight

Sorry I tend to leave out details,I have done lots of testing.with flaming river or cunningham.The 12'oclock position is correct (flat spot). I used the stock to confirm this

With the steering wheel straight take off stock shaft.It is easy to keep it straight and simulate it being in perfect postion like stock since there is only one way where it slids into.

if you try to run the set screw on top you will have to turn the steering wheel to the left or right to get it to go on the splines (this not not correct) as your steering wheel with be a notch to the right or to the left not the middle like stock.

instead install the shaft with the set screw on bottom it will now go into the middle (you can confirm this by your steering wheel being straight like stock)

Attachments

• shaft straight.jpg
    shaft straight.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 9

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some (all?) steering gears have, by design, a "high spot" at 12 o'clock, where the "feel" is intentionally tighter when driving straight. That "high spot" exists for perhaps +-10 degrees of input shaft rotation ("steering wheel" rotation). If the steering gear shaft's not at 12 o'clock when driving straight, the "feel" won't be as it should when straight and through gentle turns.

It was VERY evident to me when I once mis-adjusted a steering box on my '79 Camaro. Whatever I did caused a LOT of steering wheel drag when driving nearly straight. (I think I changed the sector shaft's adjustment -- that little "screw on top" -- naively)

The steering gear's shaft orientation can be aligned by tweaking the tie rod adjusters. Normally this requires no special attention, as by-design the steering wheel is aligned at 12 o'clock with the steering gear's input shaft... simply setting the steering alignment so that the steering wheel is at 12 o'clock will suffice to set the steering gear's input shaft at 12 o'clock.

Someone can probably explain this better than me. Maybe it's all explained in the FSM.

This is why it is important it needs to be installed perfectly straight like stock.also if you get it aligned like with it off a tooth to the left or right you loose some turn radius

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is why it is important it needs to be installed perfectly straight like stock.also if you get it aligned like with it off a tooth to the left or right you loose some turn radius
That sums up the issue . My suburban must have had tie rod swap at some point before me or a self adjust …It’s never driven completely straight! But that’s in part to me doing a lot of upgrading next being wheels tires lift kit done but new tie tie rods ball joints in the works soon
…So when I parked truck /Locked steer /pulled oem shaft out “Naturally” my gear box shaft was clocked at 1pm due to previous mis alignment I guess
I was just mostly trying to really understand where the stock bolt locks down against gear box vs 360* splined aftermarket shafts that don’t use a flat spot . When I pulled my shaft out I didn’t quickly take notice of where that OEM bolt was together against. Partly my fault !

Now I gotta figure out how to fix it .

I

Last edited:

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I stupidly tossed my stock steering shaft .. So if I was gonna use it to fix this alignment I can’t but I still think I can with the Cunningham shaft

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine was is the channel that was just a picture to show with it being splined it can be orientated in any position

Sorry I tend to leave out details,I have done lots of testing.with flaming river or cunningham.The 12'oclock position is correct (flat spot). I used the stock to confirm this

With the steering wheel straight take off stock shaft.It is easy to keep it straight and simulate it being in perfect postion like stock since there is only one way where it slids into.

if you try to run the set screw on top you will have to turn the steering wheel to the left or right to get it to go on the splines (this not not correct) as your steering wheel with be a notch to the right or to the left not the middle like stock.

instead install the shaft with the set screw on bottom it will now go into the middle (you can confirm this by your steering wheel being straight like stock)
So you are saying run the steering shaft and set screw directly over the flat spot past the flat area where the channel starts ..

It should tighten where I have the arrow showing “Channel valley “that is still in line with the flat area correct ??

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still am not visually comprehending the set screw placement for aftermarket shaft
I don’t get how any set screw that has no indent can seat on a flat surface and be considered safe or considered a “Lock in”
The stupid circle ⭕️ indent that these shafts have where it looks Iike a bolt has been seated against it for 20 years What is that Mark for ?

I guess if you can just Help me by just stating ya or nay based on the edited pic I post where I point to the location I believe the screw Tightens
Does it screw down right exactly where I have the X marked

And what is the other circular impression for on the shaft

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    229.2 KB · Views: 0

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what he's saying is to flip / rotate the U-joint 180degrees on the steering wheel's shaft (pull it off, and re-install it 180deg out).

NOW, with the steering wheel at 12 o'clock and the steering gear's input shaft at 12 o'clock, re-install the U-joint upon the steering gear's input shaft.

Now, having made this change, the set screw is (should be) opposite the flat spot on the steering gear input shaft... notably, in an area where there's truly a groove into which the set screw can "sit".

offroadtahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I stupidly tossed my stock steering shaft .. So if I was gonna use it to fix this alignment I can’t but I still think I can with the Cunningham shaft
You don't need it i just used it to confirm where it has to be orientated.Set it on that little indention like in indention photos it will be slightly to the left pull it off then flip it 180 degrees.it will now be straight and steering wheel and box will be clocked correctly.

do not completely use tires as a visual for steering box being straight too many variables worn ball joint's,aftermarket pitman arm not keyed right.
Just make the box and steering are wheel straight and your steering wheel will the in the same positon as the stock steering shaft
I think what he's saying is to flip / rotate the U-joint 180degrees on the steering wheel's shaft (pull it off, and re-install it 180deg out).

NOW, with the steering wheel at 12 o'clock and the steering gear's input shaft at 12 o'clock, re-install the U-joint upon the steering gear's input shaft.

Now, having made this change, the set screw is (should be) opposite the flat spot on the steering gear input shaft... notably, in an area where there's truly a groove into which the set screw can "sit".
Yes thank you in the indention pic's notice how it is slightly to the left you would have to compensate steering wheel or box to get the splines to engage this would not be correct.

In the 180 degrees flipped photo's the shaft is now straight and both steering wheel and box can be in perfect 12 o"clock position's check my next post for the 180 degree flipped photo's
Hope this helps!

Attachments

• Stock Shaft.jpg
    Stock Shaft.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Stock Shaft 2.jpg
    Stock Shaft 2.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Indention.jpg
    Indention.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Indention slightly to left.jpg