Has anyone thought of custom machining a brake mouting flange?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtdegreenia

Reaction score
So I'm gonna reopen the dismal subject of the dreaded 10" brakes...with a fresh spin...h
Get it brakes....spin...sorry.

I know the 10 and 11" brakes are different in many ways including the mounting flange. I know it's been discussed that suv (possible 11" donor) is a different diameter tube than a pickup making a seemingly dead end for converting the 10 bolt 10" brakes to the 10 bolt 11" brakes. I'm wondering if any of you guys like Cunningham machine or maybe other machinists that might cruze the forum have considered making a flange that would accept the 11" backing plate with the truck axle tube diameter? I know I would buy a set and if I were a machinist I'd try it out.

Is anyone out there willing to machine up something like that?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 things come to mind. Would thickness of added flange(not sure how thick your thinking) affect axle length and then the hole pattern for the 10” and 11” are close enough to interfere with each other.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

I’ve thought about this before, the only solution I can think of is cutting off existing flange and having a new custom made flange welded on.

Last edited:

jtdegreenia

Reaction score
Exactly! Make a custom flange that has the 11" bolt pattern with the c/k truck tube diameter and like you said cut and weld to the needed measurements to accommodate the wider 11" pads, simple math or measure an existing set up say from a hoe or burba all we need is a machinist to make them, I'm telling ya it's a big money maker!

jtdegreenia

Reaction score
The problem truly lies with us 2 wheel guys, an appropriate rear end is hard to find I looked into it a while back the closest one was in PA from a 2wd suburban. I'm in nh and the axle was 500. The price of the axle and an 8 host one way drive...
For me it's so worth the extra work. Also rear disc conversions for the 10" brakes are so so at best

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d be in for an adapter, but that’s a bunch of work (for me) to cut off a flange and weld a new one on. I would swap the whole rear end.
This was my conclusion, just swap in the correct axle. Also, you get a better 9.5 axle. I’m not a big re-invent the wheel guy and not having a welder, cutting flange off and having one custom made. No thanks.

Last edited:

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen this site advertised somewhere recently. Seems might be worth a shot for something like this?

I have used sendcutsend a number of times with wonderful results. It’s actually fairly cheap as well, especially since I always use a discount code. Here’s some cantilevers they cut out:

Attachments

• IMG_1867.jpeg
    IMG_1867.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 23