Steering wheel issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Need some help..again
I did the Cunningham machine lower steering shaft (great product) everything bolted right up, my only issue it the wheel is not centered now yet the truck steers perfectly. At the time of the swap I also installed a new to me steering wheel since mine was toast, to fix the steering wheel miss-alignment issue should I start at the wheel or the teeth at the gear box?

Vince

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need some help..again
I did the Cunningham machine lower steering shaft (great product) everything bolted right up, my only issue it the wheel is not centered now yet the truck steers perfectly. At the time of the swap I also installed a new to me steering wheel since mine was toast, to fix the steering wheel miss-alignment issue should I start at the wheel or the teeth at the gear box?

Vince
Not sure what the year and model of your truck is. A couple of links below. If you installed a new steering wheel it’s likely where things got funky on ya.
Rag-joint delete
Cunningham Machine Upper-Lower Steering Shaft

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So we are thinking its in the steering wheel?
From the links it looks like the steering box?
1995 Sierra 1500
Thanks

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. Was the truck driving straight and the steering wheel correct before the repairs? How far off is the steering wheel? Did you do the steering wheel first? If you replaced the lower shaft with the Cunningham CM-SS-2 and It’s not keyed (only goes in one way) that’s where you can make the adjustment to correct for the steering wheel. I believe your steering wheel is keyed. Hope this helps.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the lower steering shaft last. Am I able to skip teeth at the steering box or is it keyed?
Should be easier than removing the steering wheel & airbag?