Cummins Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be in the wrong spot for this but I was looking into swapping a 12v into my 91 k2500 gasser and was wondering if anybody knew what I would be lookin at spending to have it done because I have neither the time or the know how to do it myself. Any places to go or stay away from? I'd buy the motor myself and correct me if I'm wrong but a gm nv4500 bolts up? Any input is greatly appreciated

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
York looking at big bucks to have a shop do it. Especially if they need to get all the parts.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where in the world are you? There are a few places you can call that do this every day.

Yes, the chevy NV4500 will bolt to a DODGE NV4500 bell housing, which will, in turn, bolt to a 94-02 cummins engine adaptor plate. So, chevy trans, dodge input shaft, dodge bell, dodge flywheel and clutch.

This is only true for the 96+ chevy NV4500s though. If you have a '94 down (with the low 6.34 first gear ratio) you will need some machine work done to the trans, but it can be made to fit. 1995 was an oddball year, so it' a coin flip.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FWIW, I jumped into this project for my truck with both feet and grand ideas. I now have a garage full of cummins stuff for my truck including, but no limited to, a bare, fresh machined block, full rebuild kit, shot peened and balanced rods, balanced crank, compound turbo setup, aftermarket cam, aftermarket most everything else, and a ready to be rebuilt NV4500, mounts and AC/alternator brackets from autoworld mt, and the list goes on. I have quite a few months salary in parts right now :) The point I am making is, find a wrecked or beat up truck with a good drivetrain and buy the whole thing. Once the swap is done sell the rest of it. You will save tons of money that way and won't be tempted like me to upgrade everything right off the bat.

I just need to find the time to assemble the engine and tranny, then they are going in my truck.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Lots of good info from Adam. I would also find a donor truck and buy the whole thing. You might be able to do it for $2-3k when it's all said and done. That's assuming you sell the truck minus engine and transmission after you're done. That adaptor plate will run you $750+ alone.

heavyjunk

Oh cool I can change this
Reaction score
I repowered my '94 eclb truck with a 91? 12v cummins and it was the best mod I ever did. A basically stock cummins and a non overdrive trans and I was running 27-29mpg. All the power I ever needed(but never enough LOL). I'll post more info tomorrow or so when I have a little more time.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
. That adaptor plate will run you $750+ alone.

Actually, the NV4500 adapter plate comes stock on NV4500 equipped dodges. All cummins engines use an adaptor plate. The expensive adaptor is when you want to attach a non factory transmission behind one, such as the 4l80e, allison, zf5/6, etc....those can range from $700 up, plus you need to buy a special fflexplate for another few hundred.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Actually, the NV4500 adapter plate comes stock on NV4500 equipped dodges. All cummins engines use an adaptor plate. The expensive adaptor is when you want to attach a non factory transmission behind one, such as the 4l80e, allison, zf5/6, etc....those can range from $700 up, plus you need to buy a special fflexplate for another few hundred.

Ah, you're right.

Sent from my Taliban Killing Droid

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im in minneapolis, minnesota. i went to a shop that does a lot of work on anything from bikes to city trucks and anything between and theyre getting back to me with a labor quote, I would be finding the parts myself. would a dodge nv4500 bolt up to my t case? that would be my concern, if it would be a problem Id rather just buy the donor truck and sell the nv4500 out of that and buy a chev 96+. another thing is Id rather keep my auto tranny but would my stock 4l80e be enough for a 94+ 12v? And this would be a long shot but Ive wanted a 3116 instead of a 12v i just figured it would be a lot more pricey and a lot less practical.

Last edited: