Cummins Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
Im in minneapolis, minnesota. i went to a shop that does a lot of work on anything from bikes to city trucks and anything between and theyre getting back to me with a labor quote, I would be finding the parts myself. would a dodge nv4500 bolt up to my t case? that would be my concern, if it would be a problem Id rather just buy the donor truck and sell the nv4500 out of that and buy a chev 96+. another thing is Id rather keep my auto tranny but would my stock 4l80e be enough for a 94+ 12v?

was it automotive concepts?

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Im in minneapolis, minnesota. i went to a shop that does a lot of work on anything from bikes to city trucks and anything between and theyre getting back to me with a labor quote, I would be finding the parts myself. would a dodge nv4500 bolt up to my t case? that would be my concern, if it would be a problem Id rather just buy the donor truck and sell the nv4500 out of that and buy a chev 96+. another thing is Id rather keep my auto tranny but would my stock 4l80e be enough for a 94+ 12v? And this would be a long shot but Ive wanted a 3116 instead of a 12v i just figured it would be a lot more pricey and a lot less practical.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe you can use the Dodge NV4500, but you will need to swap the output shafts to a Chevy NV4500 in order to retain the Chevy T-case. I think I also read somewhere that you also use a the transmission mount from a Chevy NV4500 for the Dodge transmission. You can use the 4L80 behind the Cummins, but I wouldn't be doing any serious mods because it won't hold up to the torque. If I ever do this I'm going to keep the 4L80 and have it completely rebuilt with stronger internals.

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I believe you can use the Dodge NV4500, but you will need to swap the output shafts to a Chevy NV4500 in order to retain the Chevy T-case. I think I also read somewhere that you also use a the transmission mount from a Chevy NV4500 for the Dodge transmission. You can use the 4L80 behind the Cummins, but I wouldn't be doing any serious mods because it won't hold up to the torque. If I ever do this I'm going to keep the 4L80 and have it completely rebuilt with stronger internals.

Id keep the auto tranny. mines going out on me anyways so id rather just have it rebuilt to stand up to a bit more power and run that behind it with an adapter plate than mess with swapping output shafts or bell housings or anything like that on a manual which im not even sure id want. to be honest, i love driving em but if it was every day i think id start to miss an auto. and has anybody heard of a dash mounted electronic tranny control deal that you can mess with shift points with and manually control your gear selection? my buddy mentioned something like that and it sparked my interest, figured id ask while i remembered

Thunderstruck20

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
it was automobile service company in slp. would automotive concepts be a place that would do that too?

and i forgot to ask but is auto concepts a relatively decent labor rate? I brought my first truck to the dealer once a while back to diagnose a problem and it was 140 bucks for an hr worth of labor and the shop that I work at now is 125 or so, I know its not gonna be an overnight swap but if the labors even a few bucks cheaper that could be a few hundred off the price that could go into something else. dont like pinching pennies but when youre making what im making and got a to-do list a mile long, i take it where i can haha

98chevyz71

RESIDENT CHOP GUY
Reaction score
and i forgot to ask but is auto concepts a relatively decent labor rate? I brought my first truck to the dealer once a while back to diagnose a problem and it was 140 bucks for an hr worth of labor and the shop that I work at now is 125 or so, I know its not gonna be an overnight swap but if the labors even a few bucks cheaper that could be a few hundred off the price that could go into something else. dont like pinching pennies but when youre making what im making and got a to-do list a mile long, i take it where i can haha

I don't know theyre labor rate but they have really good prices on all of theyre stuff if that helps at all.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dodge stuff might bolt to your Tcase. If you have the NP241 you can split the case and install a dodge input shaft and it will bolt up to a dodge NV4500 or 46RH.

Negative on using that 4L80e without some building done on it first. Some have used it behind a Cummins and had success, others not so much.

3116, although I don't know much about CAT engines I can tell you that it will probably be too big for your truck, not to mention CAT is a big ***** engine. Go with a cummins.

Oh, and check with Dawna at Autoworld MT. (clicky)