cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Save your money for when stuff starts breaking. :cool:
My air intake upgrade on my Tahoe was because stuff started breaking, like that stupid orange sealing ring in the vortec hat that cannot be had anywhere. I put a volant on it.

My 383 van has a revision to the ducting and a 100mm LS3/LS7 cartridge MAF. It flows very well with the streamlined 4" ducting and it is reinforced silicone that should last a long time. The van has a new GM air hat on it. Should last a long time. I added some T-Bolt clamps after I took these pictures.

You must be registered for see images attach

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
My air intake upgrade on my Tahoe was because stuff started breaking, like that stupid orange sealing ring in the vortec hat that cannot be had anywhere. I put a volant on it.

My 383 van has a revision to the ducting and a 100mm LS3/LS7 cartridge MAF. It flows very well with the streamlined 4" ducting and it is reinforced silicone that should last a long time. The van has a new GM air hat on it. Should last a long time. I added some T-Bolt clamps after I took these pictures.

Nice work!

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
So I did one of those cheap eBay “cold air intakes” $40-60 an yeah it’s totally open to the engine bay suckin hot air! But it had a straight non accordion pipe with elbow to the throttle body one thing is without question is that it made my 400 Escalade sound great rumbly and there was a definite improvement on throttle response. Lil punchy I’d say but it made my ses light come on and I do think it raised my engine temp but you want to improve your intake keep the stock box get a k&n and just change out the snorkel to the vortec box with a straight piping without ripples in it an if you want change out V box for a elbow that matches the piping if I was smart I would have toy’d around with the 2 an made a blend of them both! I currently have a k&n air filter in mine but everything else is stock but next time I go to pick n pull I’ll see if I can snag something like that cheap eBay intake off another 400 if I’m lucky enough to find one! Lol here’s pic of volaint and cheap eBay ones but I just noticed you could run a secondary intake by removing the V box and connecting a whole nother pipe with filter onto drivers side but will hood shut ? Something to think about if you do make any attempts on anything please post pics!

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
Yeah but most of the upgraded intakes have solid smooth piping for air to freely flow better than the accordion style. So I don’t think it should have too much effect on making noise if it were to. An really I don’t think too many people are really driving hard to have engine torque to make parts twist or do things they shouldn’t?

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
The smoothness of the piping is part of the workings of intakes being better I’m an insulator that covers ductwork and ductwork has sweeps mostly so that air smoothly flows to where it needs go. Now when they are 90’s/elbows on ductwork they usually have fins inside to direct the air so not to swirl in a bend and trap air flow.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah but most of the upgraded intakes have solid smooth piping for air to freely flow better than the accordion style.
The smooth ones aren't anchored at the inner fender.
So I don’t think it should have too much effect on making noise if it were to.
Not about noise but the physical integrity of the ducting, throttle body, and manifold.
An really I don’t think too many people are really driving hard to have engine torque to make parts twist or do things they shouldn’t?
Engine torque x TC torque multiplication x 1st gear torque multiplication. All of that without the throttle pedal being all the way to the floor.

Cadillac Bob

Reaction score
No I hear ya on the support part that was the other half problem no support it was just basically hanging on by the tighten clasps but I do think someone could get a mix of the 2 to work as intended for way cheaper vs nearly $300 for the volant intake system that is nicely designed and looks the part! But that’s also a lot of money for and not knowing the true value as increases of power and fuel mileage but this is all I could find at the moment.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
currently have a k&n air filter in mine but everything else is stock

I had a K&N filter in the stock box of my red truck before I bought the K&N FIPK, and the filter oil fouled my MAF sensor. I know most are probably thinking I over oiled it, nope. That was straight out of the box. Luckily the MAF came back to life with some cleaning. After that I bought the K&N FIPK intake with the thought that maybe that setup was different enough to keep the MAF isolated from the filter oil splatters. It wasn't, same thing happened again. I put a dry Amsoil EA filter on the FIPK and never had that issue again.

All this was enough to ensure that I never use an oiled gauze air filter on a vehicle with a MAF again. Back to ACDelco dry paper filters for me.

On that note, there are two different sizes of filter that fit in the factory Vortec box. The standard size, and a larger high capacity (K47) one. The ACDelco part number for the larger high capacity paper filter is A1301C.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah but most of the upgraded intakes have solid smooth piping for air to freely flow better than the accordion style. So I don’t think it should have too much effect on making noise if it were to. An really I don’t think too many people are really driving hard to have engine torque to make parts twist or do things they shouldn’t?
I ripped the engine mount tower bracket off the frame in my Express. Had to fix GMs engineering they used a stamped steel retainer piece behind each side of the frame with a self contained nut that was actually just a punched area that was tapped. 2 retainers per engine mount tower, then the normal 3 bolt mount bolts to the mount tower/adapter. My 383 ripped the 4 bolts out of the retainers in the frame. I ended up fabricating 4 of these out of 3/8" plate and drilling and tapping the bolt holes in real steel. Cut the two tabs that slid up and loosely position in in the frame until the bolts sandwhich it off the old ones and tacked them on.