1995 k1500, 5.7/350. Backfires through intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RhettR7707

Reaction score
Oh yeah, you'll want to rectify that with a heated unit. If all you see is one wire going to it, it's a non-heated type. Either way, you'll definitely want to get a scanner and see what it's doing.

I've heard O2 sensor cross counts should be 20 or greater. The unit in my truck reports 6 at best. As a result, I sometimes get the error code for "Lean limit reached."
I see. Unfortunately, it does look like I've already got a heated sensor, based off of it having 3 wires. I do have a buddy that has a scanner for obd-I. I'll have him hook it up to see how it's looking. Do you think it could possibly be a timing issue? Thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a dozen things it "could" be.

Verify fuel pressure and a decent spray pattern from the two injectors.

Connect a scan tool, verify ALL the sensors, and ALL the computer outputs including but not limited to electronic spark advance, EGR system operation, EVAP system, etc.

Check all the normal "tune-up" items. Distributor cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs. Test the spark power using a spark-tester calibrated for HEI. Check the PCV system. Look at the magnet on the distributor shaft--they're often cracked on TBI distributors.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

And I'd want to know that all the valves open and close like they're supposed to, and when they're closed, they actually seal.

A leaking intake valve, or an exhaust valve that doesn't open can each cause intake-manifold backfiring.