Tbi backfire through intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,
Ok I'm back working on my 94 k1500 5.7 tbi....NV4500tranny
I got it all put back together. Static timed. Didn't even turn key good and it fired off...
Rpm rose to about 1500 and stayed there didn't come down. I shut her off and, as it was late, went to bed. Next morning got up fired her off and again rpm to 1500 then about 30 second or so in, started dropping rpm and I thought cool she gonna settle down. Nope, went straight to 0. Cranked again, rpm to 1500 for about 30 seconds then straight to nothing.
Now for the past 2 days I can get nothing more than a spitting, sputtering barely running chunk of steel and aluminum.
It has backfire through the tbi twice.....
Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing? I don't have a scan tool or access to or money to acquire one....
Thanks in advance

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Though there are many things to verify, my first thought is that your valves are too tight. First fire with empty lifters went ok, then disappeared- now no start or hard start/poor running.
That's quite possible. This was my first time even taking rocker covers off and after reading and watching everything i could find on it i followed what i thought to be the most sensible procedure. Basically set to TDC tightened all to zero lash, rotate 90 and again tighten to zero lash any that were loose, rotate 90 and repeat until all were at zero lash..... then tightened all 1/2 turn.......
Was that bad procedure? I sure hope tf not lol...

This is the procedure i followed to a TEE....
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's quite possible. This was my first time even taking rocker covers off and after reading and watching everything i could find on it i followed what i thought to be the most sensible procedure. Basically set to TDC tightened all to zero lash, rotate 90 and again tighten to zero lash any that were loose, rotate 90 and repeat until all were at zero lash..... then tightened all 1/2 turn.......
Was that bad procedure? I sure hope tf not lol...

This is the procedure i followed to a TEE....
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
First timer, eh? lol Let the ol' guys tell you about adjusting rocker arms in the freezing cold uphill both ways.
There are a thousand ways to do it, all of them make it easier than all the rest. Personally, I use this method (with 3/4 turn instead of 1/2 on stock-ish motors)

The real trick, no matter what method you use to find your cam position, is to find with precision the 'zero lash' adjustment. You have to feel the pushrod, rocker, and lifter pocket by rolling and wiggling the pushrod, and feeling the rocker arm until you know you have no slack, but it's critically important that you do not preload the lifter at all. Then get your 1/2-3/4 turn. Because I'm old, stupid, and never did have enough memory to find my own house on my own block, I clean a shoulder on the rocker arms and use a paint marker to dot the ones I've completed. Then when I'm finished, I roll the motor through 2 more turns to be certain I got them all.