Coilovers vs bagged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Got a big question and a big decision . I have a 1988 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup it's lowered 4 x 7 wanting to change suspension. Coilovers vs bagged ? Right now I have lowered coils and spindles with flip kit in the back with lowering shackles. Any info will help.

Thanks

Dnytro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both require some effort to do right and nothing u have currently as far as lowering parts will be useful so decide your goal / intention and then getting to a answer is easier. Like what is the truck for, Just cruising? Do u want to lay frame in the parking lot, u want to do it once and never touch it again, u just want to be lower, u want it to handle better, all that.

You Need a destination to get good directions

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I don't have coilover experience with these trucks, but have had them on cars, and always associated them with aggressive/competitive driving. Like Auto X, or tearing down a curvy road.

You could do the same with bags, but bag size would be very important. When I was on the S10 forum years ago, I got into a bit of a debate over this. Most over there swear by stuffing the biggest bag you can in there(front), and claimed to ride nice, and still handle. I on the other hand was a fan of a smaller bag, which handled very well, and still had a decent ride. Better than stock, but not like the marshmellow ride I know the big bag would give.

For example I had Firestone 2500 bags on the front of my V6 S10, and F9000 sleeve bags on the rear, running ART Air Bar 3 link. Truck would hang a curve like nobody's business, but still rode good enough that people would comment on it.

Compare a Firestone 2500, to a Dominater 2500, or the equavalent Slam Bag, and the Firestone is almost half the size. The smaller bag will actually require more pressure to achieve the same ride height, that a bigger bag will get with less pressure. Sounds backwards, but seen it first hand.

Dnytro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe ridetech had a coil over setup and a bagged setup for autocross and the bagged setup was faster in back to back testing.

But In general the bigger the bag the softer the ride for sure due to needing less pressure to achieve the same height. Soft and good handling don’t really go together, but it’s damn sure comfy lol

Casey916

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have coilover experience with these trucks, but have had them on cars, and always associated them with aggressive/competitive driving. Like Auto X, or tearing down a curvy road.

You could do the same with bags, but bag size would be very important. When I was on the S10 forum years ago, I got into a bit of a debate over this. Most over there swear by stuffing the biggest bag you can in there(front), and claimed to ride nice, and still handle. I on the other hand was a fan of a smaller bag, which handled very well, and still had a decent ride. Better than stock, but not like the marshmellow ride I know the big bag would give.

For example I had Firestone 2500 bags on the front of my V6 S10, and F9000 sleeve bags on the rear, running ART Air Bar 3 link. Truck would hang a curve like nobody's business, but still rode good enough that people would comment on it.

Compare a Firestone 2500, to a Dominater 2500, or the equavalent Slam Bag, and the Firestone is almost half the size. The smaller bag will actually require more pressure to achieve the same ride height, that a bigger bag will get with less pressure. Sounds backwards, but seen it first hand.
Yay I habe the same question.. I want a truck that rides nice and handles nicely without all the stiffness I habe now and body role also.. Im running the djm lower control arms and a flip kit and belltech lowering shocks on back and front and soon to be c notch if i should if I keep going the direction I am not shur need advice.. My. Truck will be a daily driver and carry small things in the bed never anything heavy at all and maybe a small 3 foot trailer to haul lawn clipping to the dump nothing crazy super. Light stuff... Im thinking of changing everything I have done if anyone has any personal experience with a beter way to drop the truck not to lay Frame but to get a an aggressive drop that just rides nice like I get now it's nice to have a car that makes the ******* jump when you got a girl next to you in the passenger seat but it's kind of annoying

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What truck do you have and how far did you lower it?

The lowering arms and flip kit don't change the spring rate. Did you install lowering springs as well? Do you know the spring rate on them? Also, check to make sure you're not hitting your bumpstops.

As far as body roll, only the Suburbans got rear sway bars, and adding one to a pickup is a great upgrade - I have one on my '89 Stepside. They allow a soft suspension while taming body roll. Also check the size of your front sway bar - this week I discovered there are two different sizes and both my '88 and '89 have the larger 1.25" bar.

Reaction score
Yay I habe the same question.. I want a truck that rides nice and handles nicely without all the stiffness I habe now and body role also.. Im running the djm lower control arms and a flip kit and belltech lowering shocks on back and front and soon to be c notch if i should if I keep going the direction I am not shur need advice.. My. Truck will be a daily driver and carry small things in the bed never anything heavy at all and maybe a small 3 foot trailer to haul lawn clipping to the dump nothing crazy super. Light stuff... Im thinking of changing everything I have done if anyone has any personal experience with a beter way to drop the truck not to lay Frame but to get a an aggressive drop that just rides nice like I get now it's nice to have a car that makes the ******* jump when you got a girl next to you in the passenger seat but it's kind of annoying
Understanding the kit . You can adjust the Linkage which are heavy duty and replaces the leaf springs. There's different adjustments. If you want to drive on the track or cruise down the Highway or around town. You can take a turn around curves at 70 mph with out having any roll or pitch. Since the kit comes with coil overs you can change the adjust the ride hight.

Reaction score

I used to use bags on my trucks and my impala but it was more for looks and cruising. With this kit. You can lift to haul or lower to cruise. plus the heavy duty linkage that places the leaf springs, which you can adjust for speed around the track. The company has took my truck around curves going at least 70mph with out roll or any pitch . So your not leaning on the Passenger .