Chris AU's '92 ECSB K1500 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it works to, but with all the times you've changed ignition components with no change I think the problem lies else where.

Where I have no idea but I don't see how it can still be in the ignition...

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
chris have you done a compression test or anything? could it be possible its a burned valve or cam going flat? I hope not, just throwing out a few suggestions.

SLIMZ71

Reaction score
Hmm.. I'm trying to diagnose a shudder on mine. Happens when cruising in OD between 40 and 65. It sounds like the transmission can't choose which gear but the rpms and the feel of the truck never change it's just the way it sounds.

i had the same shudder with mine. i replaced the plug wires and it fixed the problem

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
chris have you done a compression test or anything? could it be possible its a burned valve or cam going flat? I hope not, just throwing out a few suggestions.

Not yet, waiting to see if this can be it. I have hope because my best friend's 92 was doing the same thing and new plug wires fixed it for him too. Plus I have a mismatched wire as it is since I tore one of my AC Delco ones, so they need to be replaced anyway.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Its fixed! It had gotten bad enough that under any load, TC locked or not, it felt like it was out of time it would miss so much. The AC Delco wires on it were only about a year old and had less than 2000 miles on them. Threw some new Delphi wires on it, and METICULOUSLY routed and spaced them (SIXTEEN wire spacers haha) so that none were touching at any point and that they weren't close to touching something hot. Runs great! Just drove it about 35 miles, just cruised around. Not a single hiccup. Put it up some strenuous hills and took it to 80 on the interstate, no hesitation at all. Yay!!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Glad to see you figured it out. Amazing how something so simple can create so much of a problem isn't it?

Are those generic length wires? I've always bought the model specific AC Delco wires and had good luck with their quality and their length being appropriate for the motor.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Congrats Chris! I just bought a set of AC Delco wires for my 94! i got my fingers crossed it fixes it.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
No they are Delphi application specific wires. The AC Delcos were the same lengths, always thought it was weird how long they made the ones for the front cylinders. They could easily be 4-5" shorter and be fine.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Weird. My AC Delco wires are much shorter looking than that. They hug the block really well.

I just read through some of the other posts too, didn't realize you swapped the tow mirrors off in favor of the OEM ones. I'm in the same boat as you, I like the stock (although in my case stainless) mirrors over the tows. I only have the towing mirrors because there isn't any other decent option at this point for towing my trailer, well until I get another truck...

Also I had no idea you had 3.42s. Your transmission has to hate you. I had 3.73s and 35s with my 350/700R4 combo, and it hunted gears like mad on the highway. The NV4500 helped a good deal, but the big help was 4.56 gears. Now that I have the 454 I almost wish I had 4.10s though.