Chris AU's '92 ECSB K1500 Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Weird. My AC Delco wires are much shorter looking than that. They hug the block really well.

I just read through some of the other posts too, didn't realize you swapped the tow mirrors off in favor of the OEM ones. I'm in the same boat as you, I like the stock (although in my case stainless) mirrors over the tows. I only have the towing mirrors because there isn't any other decent option at this point for towing my trailer, well until I get another truck...

Also I had no idea you had 3.42s. Your transmission has to hate you. I had 3.73s and 35s with my 350/700R4 combo, and it hunted gears like mad on the highway. The NV4500 helped a good deal, but the big help was 4.56 gears. Now that I have the 454 I almost wish I had 4.10s though.

It really doesn't seem to drive any differently than with the 285s. With the TC locked Im only pulling about 1700 RPMS at 75 MPH, which leads to about 16 MPG which is awesome. This truck isn't a DD. It's life is long trips on the highway to hunting locations, and then very short runs around that area. So I think I'm ok. The trans has been beefed up and I added a trans cooler. I just can't bring myself to regear it when the goal is to SAS it in a few years and I rarely drive it.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
which ac delco wires did you have chris, the professional 9718d or the OE ones 718d ? I need to order some tune up parts.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
It really doesn't seem to drive any differently than with the 285s. With the TC locked Im only pulling about 1700 RPMS at 75 MPH, which leads to about 16 MPG which is awesome. This truck isn't a DD. It's life is long trips on the highway to hunting locations, and then very short runs around that area. So I think I'm ok. The trans has been beefed up and I added a trans cooler. I just can't bring myself to regear it when the goal is to SAS it in a few years and I rarely drive it.

Yeah, I get that. I ran around 2 years with 3.73s in my truck, but I was DDing it and driving cross state. I was getting 15MPG on average with it, but it hunted gears a lot because of the abundance of hills. The mileage really never changed when I swapped to the NV4500 on the highway, but it went up in town a good deal since I added another gear. Then I bought the trailer and it sucked towing with a 350, 35s and 3.73s. So in came the 4.56s kept everything about the same and use 2nd now to start off in town.

I think right now I sit about 2,400RPM at 75MPH.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
which ac delco wires did you have chris, the professional 9718d or the OE ones 718d ? I need to order some tune up parts.

I had 9618V wires on mine, odd that 92's and 94's have different wires? RockAuto and Advance confirm though. Weird.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that. I ran around 2 years with 3.73s in my truck, but I was DDing it and driving cross state. I was getting 15MPG on average with it, but it hunted gears a lot because of the abundance of hills. The mileage really never changed when I swapped to the NV4500 on the highway, but it went up in town a good deal since I added another gear. Then I bought the trailer and it sucked towing with a 350, 35s and 3.73s. So in came the 4.56s kept everything about the same and use 2nd now to start off in town.

I think right now I sit about 2,400RPM at 75MPH.

I got ya. Oh, and about the mirrors, thanks. Some people considered it a downgrade, but I felt like my '92 had lost a lot of OBS lore through my mods, so I wanted to take a step back. It feels much more like my '92 RCSB I loved now.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Found some old pics of the trucks that are the inspiration for this one.

First, my '92 RCSB I had in high school (thats my buddy Zack in the pic, not me)

You must be registered for see images attach

And then my best friend's '97 ECSB:

You must be registered for see images attach

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Strongly considering pulling all the interior out and painting all the plastics with SEM Light Oak and covering all the cloth with Realtree AP HD camo fabric...hmmmmm.