Choosing exhaust system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is your truck TBI?

My old 91 burb ran awesome with stock manifolds, modified stock y pipe(believe it had a Flowmaster collector), 3” from the y pipe back, no cat, and a Flowmaster 40. If I were to do it again I would do a high flow cat. Virgin exhaust stinks and no one enjoys breathing it.

My current truck has the original cat and y pipe. 3” exhaust from the cat back. I’ll be having a high flow cat and a new y pipe collector installed soon. I’m sure the original cat is probably well past it’s prime. Heated O2 sensor will follow.

Headers on a stock TBI engine are a waste of money. New manifolds are cheap if yours are cracked or warped. Cheap headers won’t seal and the extra heat in your engine bay isn’t worth it. Expensive headers with thick flanges will seal but there will be no performance benefit and you still get stuck with the higher engine bay temps. Again this is for TBI. I have no experience with Vortec trucks and they may significantly benefit from headers.

bjett

Reaction score
I have a 95 t.b.i. 350, don't know which engine you have. I burned out my cats here in California, and my headers didn't seal the best and I have to pass smog so I rebuilt the system. I used Gibson stainless steel shorty headers (all important CARB certified for us in Cali), into a Magnaflow direct fit catalytic converter downpipe/converter combo, then a Gibson super truck exhaust. If I had to do it again, I would get something quieter than the super truck exhaust with a side exhaust dump. I don't tow often, but I used to drive up the cajon pass in California daily for work, and the exhaust is loud and would drone on from inside of the truck. I love the loud sound, but it grew old quickly.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
bjett that it would get old driving up that pass, especially if you had to drop it into a lower gear. lol (former SoCal born and raised..)

John916

Reaction score
Hey everyone, sorry i haven’t replied. I’ve had some internet issues. I appreciate all the responses and suggestions. I am going to look into all of halls suggestions and take everything into consideration. And my truck is the vortex by the way. Thanks again, I’ll let y’all know what i decide to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf