Choosing exhaust system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John916

Reaction score
Hey all, it’s about time for me to finally fix my “temporary exhaust” on the truck. At the moment, the truck is running a system with about 11 exhaust leaks that only cost me about $10 is some clamps and then i pieced some things together.

I know some people at a shop that do really good work and i am having them weld up a full exhaust system for me. My only dilemma is choosing what route to go.

I am a fan of loud trucks with a deep tone and having cats or mufflers doesn’t matter. I am not worried about inspections or anything. The only thing is i tow a lot and i hear a lot about not having any back pressure and making it more difficult to tow. I figured i would stay with a single exit and possibly keep the cats and ditch the muffler. Is this the best route to go?

I also race the truck at the sand drag for fun so i wouldn’t like to negatively impact that. Hell, I’d even be up to putting headers on it as long as it’s worth it.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John916

Reaction score
Sorry guys, didn’t see the exhaust section until right after i posted this. I don’t know how to move it, I’m not the best with the whole forum thing.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "backpressure"; just too much or not enough airflow. A single three inch would be ideal, with your choice of through style muffler, whether a magnaflow, spintech, dynomax, or what have you. The crucial part is the piping before the merge. You want this pipe to be 2.5", from the manifold flanges to where they merge.

John916

Reaction score
There is no such thing as "backpressure"; just too much or not enough airflow. A single three inch would be ideal, with your choice of through style muffler, whether a magnaflow, spintech, dynomax, or what have you. The crucial part is the piping before the merge. You want this pipe to be 2.5", from the manifold flanges to where they merge.

When you say the manifold flanges, are you saying the exhaust manifolds before the cats? Or after the cats where there is that flange with both of them on it. My truck had the dual exhaust up to the muffler stock btw.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
When you say the manifold flanges, are you saying the exhaust manifolds before the cats? Or after the cats where there is that flange with both of them on it. My truck had the dual exhaust up to the muffler stock btw.

I would assume he's talking from the truck manifolds back, ie before the cats. My personal system is going with long tube headers with a 2.5" collector to a full stainless 2.5", true dual system. Single "x" pipe to equalize bank to bank pressure and two 2.5" Magnaflow straight through style mufflers. No cats, no resonators, and two 2.5" tips. Should allow plenty of uninterrupted flow.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score

I was trying to describe the run from the exhaust manifolds to where your two headpipes will merge into the single 3" exhaust pipe that flows towards your muffler. The factory headpipes (Y pipe) is grossly undersized at 1-7/8", and an immediate torque gain results from replacing this pipe with 2.5" diameter piping.

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would assume he's talking from the truck manifolds back, ie before the cats. My personal system is going with long tube headers with a 2.5" collector to a full stainless 2.5", true dual system. Single "x" pipe to equalize bank to bank pressure and two 2.5" Magnaflow straight through style mufflers. No cats, no resonators, and two 2.5" tips. Should allow plenty of uninterrupted flow.
thats how i did my system but i did a single 3" i used a dynomax bullet

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Mine is shorty flowtech headers to 2.5" headpipes, to single DI/SO magnaflow, to 3" tailpipe. Terminates at stock location with a round tip. Notice no cat(s)?

It sounds beastly. As in almost a nuisance beastly. As loud or louder than my Chevelle with headers, dual pipes and a pair of burned out glasspacks dumped at the axle.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Do not run cats with no muffler. It screams truck rice. Magnaflow for a nice deep tone but not obnoxious, flowmaster 10s if you want moar loud.

Greg Lowrey

Reaction score
First off, read this. It will help familiarize yourself with the concept of tuning exhaust.
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/exhaust/performance-exhaust-system-design-and-theory/

Then I also recommend reading the exhaust section of this book.
https://www.amazon.com/Build-Performance-Blocks-Budget-Design/dp/1884089348

I am working on two projects simultaneously. One is a 94 F44 package and the other is a 2wd 96 Silverado. When I’m done they will have two very different purposes and I’m trying to learn how to set each one up for maximum engine efficiency. Not fuel mileage but squeezing the most horsepower out of the setup. Both of these are good reads on exhaust and should help you with your exhaust set-up.