Smoke coming from exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EzraP

Reaction score
im having an issue with my 99 k2500 5.7, i replaced my sparkplugs around 1000km ago which fixed my misfire but it is back again, and now my drivers side exhaust is pouring a thick white smoke that smells like gasoline, while my passenger side exhaust is not. my coolant levels are good so i dont think its my head gasket. I just got my injectors fixed at a shop because i didnt have a place to do them at the time, i now have a shop to work in and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas what could be wrong. im 17 and not very mechanically inclined yet and im just trying to fix my truck up

Attachments

• IMG_2102.jpeg
    IMG_2102.jpeg
    190.1 KB · Views: 19

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im having an issue with my 99 k2500 5.7, i replaced my sparkplugs around 1000km ago which fixed my misfire but it is back again, and now my drivers side exhaust is pouring a thick white smoke that smells like gasoline, while my passenger side exhaust is not. my coolant levels are good so i dont think its my head gasket. I just got my injectors fixed at a shop because i didnt have a place to do them at the time, i now have a shop to work in and i was wondering if anyone had any ideas what could be wrong. im 17 and not very mechanically inclined yet and im just trying to fix my truck up
Are you having any codes? Is the check engine light on?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Injectors fixed for what reason? Plug looks oil fouled. Likely not head gasket. You need to do a compression test and go from there. When doing the test, all plugs out and keep track of what they all look like and the hole they came out of. Keep track of the cylinder compression readings and post results/pics here.

EzraP

Reaction score
Injectors fixed for what reason? Plug looks oil fouled. Likely not head gasket. You need to do a compression test and go from there. When doing the test, all plugs out and keep track of what they all look like and the hole they came out of. Keep track of the cylinder compression readings and post results/pics here.
Injectors were fixed because i had an issue with with starting when at operating temp, when cold it would start after one or two cranks but when warm i would have to feather the throttle as well as no acceleration, and alright ill do that thank you very much

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score

I've never heard of smoke from gas being white. If its running rich, it'll be black. Coolant "burns" white.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've never heard of smoke from gas being white. If its running rich, it'll be black. Coolant "burns" white.
I am assuming that not everyone can see the color like a mechanical person can, that has been around vehicles and repairs and diagnostics over time. He did say he was not very mechanically inclined. That plug looks oil fouled. Also, he says coolant levels are good, if in fact were checked correctly. Can also pressure test cooling system.

EzraP

Reaction score
Im just at work right now, after i get off i will upload the results of the compression test as well as the pictures of my sparkplugs

EzraP

Reaction score
Well ive talked to one of my journeyman about my issue and he told me just to replace my plugs for now and we are going to find a junkyard engine to drop in but thank you for all of the advice

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well ive talked to one of my journeyman about my issue and he told me just to replace my plugs for now and we are going to find a junkyard engine to drop in but thank you for all of the advice
That is a plan but means you just assume you need an engine. Care to explain what the journeyman said that convinces you of that. Share it here. That is what it means to be a member here. I would at least run the compression test. You said, "not mechanically inclined yet". Not gonna get there if you just end up doing a parts swap. If you go further, then you know why you are doing it and not just because what someone else says that maybe just saw the plug. Your truck, your call, but at least try....ok?