Choosing a tire for snow driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nuke

I go by the name Matt
Reaction score
I mostly drive around on the street and go off-road throughout the year. Most of the trails I go on are easy. My biggest concern is snow driving. I love it and want a tire that loves it too. If it weren't for this, I would probably go for a rib tire.

Also, the Interco Vortrac VOR-50R tire caught my eye at a 4x4 show this summer and was wondering if Interco still makes this tire.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
They still show on Interco's website. Looks decent, I wonder how well they work on the highway?

Gary98K1500

Reaction score
I've had pretty good luck with my Goodyear wrangler duratracs. Great in snow and mud an their quiet on the road

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I've had pretty good luck with my Goodyear wrangler duratracs. Great in snow and mud an their quiet on the road

I concur.....I don't drive a cage much, but when I do I need it to work properly for MY purpose......and the Duratracs just fit that bill perfectly......and this is coming from a Cooper and BFG guy.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
A good snow tire is skinnier than your summer tires. The key to traction in the snow is the smallest possible contact patch. Duratracs are great tires everywhere except for long highway trips at 80+ mph. My experience was that they had a tendency to wander my truck around. Otherwise they are the best tires I've ran. They were absolutely awesome in the rain until about 25% tread left on them.

Still, the key is skinny. If you typically run a 265, a 235 or 245 snow tire would be ideal.

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
BFG AT KO's. I understand the skinny tire for snow and everything else but you mentioned a lot of different needs for the tire and the BFG's do it all well

Sent from my 5.7L powered iPhone using Tapatalk

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
BFG AT KO's. I understand the skinny tire for snow and everything else but you mentioned a lot of different needs for the tire and the BFG's do it all well

Sent from my 5.7L powered iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally used the BFG MT's, but AT's were good on the sand and more highway driving I was doing at that time. Cooper Discoverer A/T "something-or-anothers" were pretty good back in the day.....now the Goodyears meet all MY needs...... mostly as a snow and inclement weather tire. probably the BEST all around tire ever made imo. last set of Goodyears I had was in '88, their first directional MTR.....I have never been know to even like Goodyear till now.