Is a Quick Ratio Box Right For Me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlindsey19

Reaction score
Hi all, I need some opinions or insight on this. 1999 GMC Yukon Denali, has 275/55r20 tires and 20" 07-13 Tahoe LTZ rims. My steering box is looser than the girl I talked to when I was in high school and I'm unsure of whether or not to swap to a quick ratio box. I was going to go with a Cardone new unit from rockauto, but the redhead quick ratio box caught my eye. According to Redhead it isn't recommended with oversized tires or off-road vehicles. What is the reason behind that? I don't do any serious off-roading (albeit, driving through thick snow and ice sometimes, but no rock crawling) and I usually stick to pavement if possible. The cardone is significantly cheaper than the Redhead and also has no core charge. I've also thought about the Borgeson #800134, but again, unsure if I should use the quick ratio steering. The EVO system was bypassed when I did the power steering pump about 7 months ago and it will be replaced under warranty as to not contaminate the new steering box. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The quick ratio isn't recommended because of the high center of gravity in the event of a quick high speed turn, it has the potential for a roll over.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The quick ratio box probably also involves a stiffer torsion bar in the steering box, both of which will make for heavier steering especially with big tires.

Wild Guess: You should be fixing all the other problems with the front-end/steering, and at that point you might decide that the steering box you have is just fine; or perhaps could be adjusted (TWO places, not just one) to reduce free-play.

The rag joint is an epidemic failure and cause for loose/vague steering, wandering. There's extensive coverage on this site for replacing the rag joint with a lower steering shaft having a U-joint (although it's way more difficult/expensive on '95+ model years.)

dlindsey19

Reaction score
The quick ratio box probably also involves a stiffer torsion bar in the steering box, both of which will make for heavier steering especially with big tires.

Wild Guess: You should be fixing all the other problems with the front-end/steering, and at that point you might decide that the steering box you have is just fine; or perhaps could be adjusted (TWO places, not just one) to reduce free-play.

The rag joint is an epidemic failure and cause for loose/vague steering, wandering. There's extensive coverage on this site for replacing the rag joint with a lower steering shaft having a U-joint (although it's way more difficult/expensive on '95+ model years.)
My box is leaking and I’m replacing the whole front end once it thaws out here in Idaho. I would send it off and have it resealed but I’m unsure of the condition on the inside.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The quick ratio isn't recommended because of the high center of gravity in the event of a quick high speed turn, it has the potential for a roll over.
100% agree! Often “quick” is not better.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, fast is better than slow, especially when things get hairy. You have to get ahead of what the car is doing and it's harder to do that if you have to turn the steering wheel more than 180 degrees.

I doubt the fast box is all that fast. It's probably something like 2.5 complete turns instead of 3.

dlindsey19

Reaction score
In my opinion, fast is better than slow, especially when things get hairy. You have to get ahead of what the car is doing and it's harder to do that if you have to turn the steering wheel more than 180 degrees.

I doubt the fast box is all that fast. It's probably something like 2.5 complete turns instead of 3.
Yeah, in the research I did I found the stock box was 3/3.5 turns, and the quick ratio is only 1/2 turn less. So I'll just go with a stock replacement from RockAuto.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, in the research I did I found the stock box was 3/3.5 turns, and the quick ratio is only 1/2 turn less. So I'll just go with a stock replacement from RockAuto.
Which one? Cardone?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d avoid Cardone completely. At least look at this: