changing to 6 lug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I converted my 98 2wd to 6-lug. I used 06 17" wheels. The newer wheels have the same or about the same offset as GMT400 4x4 wheels. So, to keep the same overall stock width I used a 4x4 SF 14 bolt because it is 3" wider than the 2wd. The offset of the wheels combined with the extra width of the axle brought it back to stock. A conversion u-joint is required. I left it drums.

Up front I used C2500 light duty front rotors which are exactly the same as stock 1/2ton 2wd rotors with the exception of it being 6-lug. There are a couple problems up front. The bearing sticks out so far that you can't run the center cap on the wheels. Also, the offset of the wheels makes them sucked in 1.5" on each side and they hit the control arm and rub the inner fender when you turn. To solve this I used 1.5" billet 6-lug wheel spacers. That allows you to run centercaps and pulls the wheel out to stock location to match the rear.

You must be registered for see images

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
darren, i wanted to ask about those spacers. some guys say do NOT run spacers but companies continue to sell them by the thousands, whats your opinion on spacers?

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I converted my 98 2wd to 6-lug. I used 06 17" wheels. The newer wheels have the same or about the same offset as GMT400 4x4 wheels. So, to keep the same overall stock width I used a 4x4 SF 14 bolt because it is 3" wider than the 2wd. The offset of the wheels combined with the extra width of the axle brought it back to stock. A conversion u-joint is required. I left it drums.

Up front I used C2500 light duty front rotors which are exactly the same as stock 1/2ton 2wd rotors with the exception of it being 6-lug. There are a couple problems up front. The bearing sticks out so far that you can't run the center cap on the wheels. Also, the offset of the wheels makes them sucked in 1.5" on each side and they hit the control arm and rub the inner fender when you turn. To solve this I used 1.5" billet 6-lug wheel spacers. That allows you to run centercaps and pulls the wheel out to stock location to match the rear.

You must be registered for see images

thant sound like a PITA just to go 6 lug lol... i like the new tahoe 20's but not that much lol... i may just leave it alone and find some wheels that i like... but ever wheel i find i like are $600+ a wheel lol...

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
darren, i wanted to ask about those spacers. some guys say do NOT run spacers but companies continue to sell them by the thousands, whats your opinion on spacers?

I think they're fine as long as you torque them witha torque wrench once when you put them on and again a couple days later after you've put a few miles on them. I bought a set off ebay about 2yrs ago and have had no problems at all. I have beat on them pretty hard off road on back roads and at the dunes.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thant sound like a PITA just to go 6 lug lol... i like the new tahoe 20's but not that much lol... i may just leave it alone and find some wheels that i like... but ever wheel i find i like are $600+ a wheel lol...

Its really not that big of a deal. I wanted to go with a SF 14 bolt anyways. Swap front rotors, install spacers, swap rear end and ujoint. Can all be done in a couple hours with simple tools.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pop the center caps off your stock wheels and look at the offset that is built into them. By running the spacers, it brought the NBS rims out to where my stock ones were. Maybe 1-1/4" spacers? I think you're making assumptions. Figure out exact offset measurements of your stock rims and the ones you want to figure out the spacer you need. You are gonna need one.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why would anyone go from 5 lug to 6 when there is nothing as far as wheels for 6 lugs that I've seen, yet tons of 5 lug wheels?

milky9788

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why would anyone go from 5 lug to 6 when there is nothing as far as wheels for 6 lugs that I've seen, yet tons of 5 lug wheels?

Cause some of the newer stock wheels (i.e. some of the 17s-20s) would look pretty good imo on obs