Carb swapped ‘97 vortec - SUCCESS!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenMonkey

Reaction score
Just got back on the forum for the first time in a while and read through all the recent posts on this thread. I'm curious as to why it gets such a visceral reaction when someone converts to carb from fuel injection. Its like those against it think you're trying to make them swap theirs. I guess carb swaps should be added to the list of things not to talk about at the dinner table. But anyway, I've been happy with my carb swapped 7.4 and have put about 800 miles on it so far. Thanks for all those on here that helped me through the process.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BoostedNW, full disclaimer, never used his products but he has a similar line up to what Craig Moates offered.

I stumbled across that last night. I bought a 28 pin circuit board from him a couple months ago,nice guy. I see it supports the 7427 ECM that I bought for the upgrade for ol Smoky. I may just have to be crash test dummy and try one out.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Carbs work great and they have their place. Unlike the rudimentary early EFI the carb can give max performance without burning chips for obsolete EFI systems that can’t even be laptop tuned without a ECU swap. No need to get in other peoples face about their choices in carb vs EFI. If you don’t have anything helpful to say then….

Imagine getting called a hillbilly by someone who doesn’t know the different between their and “there” lol.
I'll take stock TBI over a carburetor I hate carburetors with a passion!

jlowens76

Reaction score
The Cobra MotronicRT R6 From BoostedNW Work just like the Moates Ostrich 2, works directly in tunerpro, works with all the same ECM’s and even has built in Datalogging via 3 analog input ports *(Unlike the ostrich2, which had no datalogging). Now this can’t datalog the data stream from the ECM its for external things like WBO2, Oil pressure, etc. You would still need an ALDL datalogger for real time datalogging.

Oh and you can opt for the Bluetooth add on which makes the Cobra MotronicRT R6 fully wireless. (Tuning and datalogging)

Ole2tone

Reaction score
I have successfully carb swapped my 97 silverado. A lot of research, trial and error, work has paid off. All of it has been done by myself except some machine shop work. I went with a Edelbrock AVS2 carb and have the 4L60E shifting perfectly. Everywhere I went online I had folks telling me how ridiculously I was to do it.
The reason for this post is to say it is a very worthwhile project. If anyone has questions please ask and I will help any way I can. I can post pics if needed.
I did get some good advice on this forum and I do appreciate it.
What all did you do to the transmission? Or did you just get a controller like I’ve seen everybody say to do? And what all was done to make carb work?(I do lack the computer knowledge)

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What all did you do to the transmission? Or did you just get a controller like I’ve seen everybody say to do? And what all was done to make carb work?(I do lack the computer knowledge)
Recently someone posted that they retained the stock ECM to run the tranny and added a TPS to their carb.

jockito

Reaction score
I have successfully carb swapped my 97 silverado. A lot of research, trial and error, work has paid off. All of it has been done by myself except some machine shop work. I went with a Edelbrock AVS2 carb and have the 4L60E shifting perfectly. Everywhere I went online I had folks telling me how ridiculously I was to do it.
The reason for this post is to say it is a very worthwhile project. If anyone has questions please ask and I will help any way I can. I can post pics if needed.
Hello
I am doing a 97 c2500. I have everything except a TPS set up. I have an Edelbrock carb. I think I have the wiring figured out for the HEI. Got any tips for the wiring?

Reaction score
I’m having trouble getting my 4l60e to shift after the carb swap and my tach don’t work now? Please help