Carb swap or holley sniper swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not without a fair bit of modification and retuning. If you don't alread the tuning tools, you're already halfway to the price of a Sniper. I came to the realization that I really needed a larger bore TBI and you can't find them in the junkyards around here - they're the first things to go. That made it cheaper for me to go Sniper.

The Sniper may not completely optimize by itself, but mine tuned itself until it ran without any pops or hesitation. Zero time and dollars in tuning it, and I can drive it all around town. Yes, I'll eventually get it tuned, but I need to take care of the truck's other

Rear wheel? That's a tall order. 500 would be 575-600 at the crank and you're talking compression ratios above pump gas compatible, torque converters and cams that are not all that streetable.
my engine shop said they build 383s that make 450-500 whp on 93, I know people who drive them to car shows no problem, and that’s what i will do when i get the motor, i know i will need a torque converter

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my engine shop said they build 383s that make 450-500 whp on 93, I know people who drive them to car shows no problem, and that’s what i will do when i get the motor, i know i will need a torque converter
I think they're yankin' yer chain more than a bit.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean maybe they have been in business for 40+ years, My uncle had a 355 built by them and on a dyno it made 402whp
How was that tested? You lose a percentage with the accessories on and 75/100 through the trans. It's almost 200hp less than you're looking for and realistically they should be talking you into a Dart block for that level.

i watched plenty of guys that thought they wanted what you want, and turn their nice cruisers into cars that are a nightmare to take a 2 hr round trip in. Driving down to Cars and Coffee is one thing but it works better if form follows function generally spreaking.

Last edited:

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How was that tested? It's almost 200hp less than you're looking for and realistically they should be talking you into a Dart block for that level.
on a wheel dyno he dynoed his car he has a rossler th350 since they are local, do you it would be better for me to aim for 400-430 out of a 383

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
How was that tested? You lose a percentage with the accessories on and 75/100 through the trans. It's almost 200hp less than you're looking for and realistically they should be talking you into a Dart block for that level.

i watched plenty of guys that thought they wanted what you want, and turn their nice cruisers into cars that are a nightmare to take a 2 hr round trip in. Driving down to Cars and Coffee is one thing but it works better if form follows function generally spreaking.
meh 600hp on a stock block gen 1 isnt unheard of. probably not wise, definitely half block filled and not streetable due to lack of cooling. but i can recall at least two locally that hit the 500 and 600 mark with a stock block. one with vortec heads even.