Carb swap or holley sniper swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i have been thinking carb swap or snipper swap, the snipper swap will be like $200 more but with this new efi coming out it is almost better then carb and it is, would have to do the same work, like getting rid of the tbi wiring, changing ignition systems i think, but was wondering what y’all thought

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i have been thinking carb swap or snipper swap, the snipper swap will be like $200 more
Oof, no it won't. Holley nickel and dimes you for the stuff you really need. Don't buy the "master" kit, buy the minimum kit. Holley sells factory refurbished on their website for $950, about a $300 discount. You absolutely need the extended throttle arm or you risk bending the throttle shaft. You'll need a Vortec fuel pump and you'll need metric-to-AN adapters to hook up the fuel lines.

The real question is why are you buying it? The only reason I did was my cam was too big for the factory TBI. If you're running a stock or near-stock cam, you should stick with the TBI.

If you're buying it because you don't like diagnosing the TBI, recognize that you're going to have to learn how to diagnose the Sniper. I've had several issues with mine.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Oof, no it won't. Holley nickel and dimes you for the stuff you really need. Don't buy the "master" kit, buy the minimum kit. Holley sells factory refurbished on their website for $950, about a $300 discount. You absolutely need the extended throttle arm or you risk bending the throttle shaft. You'll need a Vortec fuel pump and you'll need metric-to-AN adapters to hook up the fuel lines.

The real question is why are you buying it? The only reason I did was my cam was too big for the factory TBI. If you're running a stock or near-stock cam, you should stick with the TBI.

If you're buying it because you don't like diagnosing the TBI, recognize that you're going to have to learn how to diagnose the Sniper. I've had several issues with mine.

this is a great point i didnt immediately touch on. usually they give you the little crap screen to put a base tune in. they dont self tune as most anticipate. full potential comes from tuning them past what the self learning and adjusting base tune provides, can argue you dont but there are major benefits to tuning it beyond what the ecm just gives the user for full potential outcomes. but in order to do that the cables 100$ or something like that from holley as well.

not sure what "too big" is for TBI, durations the killer for them. the more aggressive the camshaft the more finicky the tune becomes with factory TBI for sure, that causes some head and heartache for many.

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
neither are going to make the truck faster or more efficient. if its a stock engine leave it be

the things i always see is someone puts their uncles 3/4 race cam in a tbi motor and expects it to run, poor planning is the killer of TBI.

whats really the goal here?
In the future go with a built 383, and the tbi system can’t handle a ton of power without aftermarket injectors and a tune.

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was thinking about the new snipper since it seems better then the old one, but might do carb swap since it is simpler then a snipper and cheaper and they have been around for a awhile people can help a ton

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
In the future go with a built 383, and the tbi system can’t handle a ton of power without aftermarket injectors and a tune.
really not true at all. itll handle just about as much as the 10 bolt or a 60e can.

383 doesnt mean its powerful, misconception. youre gonna tune a carb, you have to tune tbi and you have to tune a sniper........use what you have and build the engine appropriately instead of tossing parts at a mismatch build.

uhhhpooo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
really not true at all. itll handle just about as much as the 10 bolt or a 60e can.

383 doesnt mean its powerful, misconception. youre gonna tune a carb, you have to tune tbi and you have to tune a sniper........use what you have and build the engine appropriately instead of tossing parts at a mismatch build.
it will make 430-500whp

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not without a fair bit of modification and retuning. If you don't already have the tuning tools, you're already halfway to the price of a Sniper. I came to the realization that I really needed a larger bore TBI and you can't find them in the junkyards around here - they're the first things to go. That made it cheaper for me to go Sniper.

The Sniper may not completely optimize by itself, but mine tuned itself until it ran without any pops or hesitation. Zero time and dollars in tuning it, and I can drive it all around town. Yes, I'll eventually get it tuned, but I need to take care of the truck's other problems first.

it will make 430-500whp
Yup, that's in the "too large for TBI" range. Sure, you could cobble up a dual TBI system, but the learning curve was too much for me once I saw the costs stacking up.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it will make 430-500whp
Rear wheel? That's a tall order even with good pro-ported heads. 500 would be 575-600 at the crank and you're talking compression ratios above pump gas compatible, torque converters and cams that are not all that streetable.