Carb swapped ‘97 vortec - SUCCESS!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting boost thru a carb is not an easy feat.

Neither, I'm putting boost through the stock intake.
I took as you had ran boost through a carb. I can be done but as you said but it's a PITA. You either have to build a sealed box so the outside of the carb is subjected to the same pressure as the inside or you have to seal the throttle shafts or it blows fuel out around them. I tried it once. First attempt blew the gaskets out of the top of the carb and trying to box it didn't work out so well either.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I took as you had ran boost through a carb. I can be done but as you said but it's a PITA. You either have to build a sealed box so the outside of the carb is subjected to the same pressure as the inside or you have to seal the throttle shafts or it blows fuel out around them. I tried it once. First attempt blew the gaskets out of the top of the carb and trying to box it didn't work out so well either.

I was trying to address this incorrect statement with that post.

"I'm not disagreeing fuel injection is better but "FACTORY" EFI systems cant support any boosted or nitrous applications"

To me that sounds like @DamHoodlum is implying that a carb is better suited to boost which is not the case. Draw through blower? Easy peasy. Blow through anything? Not so much.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was trying to address this incorrect statement with that post.

"I'm not disagreeing fuel injection is better but "FACTORY" EFI systems cant support any boosted or nitrous applications"

To me that sounds like @DamHoodlum is implying that a carb is better suited to boost which is not the case. Draw through blower? Easy peasy. Blow through anything? Not so much.
Carbs and boost really don't play well together. Yes it has been done many times with Roots blowers and watching blowers shoot 20' in the air is kinda cool unless you're the guy having to fix it. The forced induction scene really came alive with the advent of SPFI and dry manifolds. Don't get me wrong I love Q-jets,even put two on top of a 6-71 blower once. Fun stuff!!!

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run a CSU Holley carb on a turbocharged blow through Buick 350 it works perfectly. The same carb made over 1000 wheel Hp on my friends 5.3 LS without any tuning from how CSU had it setup for my combo.

I’ve got another CSU Holley carb on E-85 and both carbs are perfect for air fuel ratio off boost, on boost 5-20 psi the carb flat out works. Both carbs are bone stock from CSUs settings.

Attachments

• IMG_3411.jpeg
    IMG_3411.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3409.jpeg
    IMG_3409.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3410.jpeg
    IMG_3410.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8949.jpeg
    IMG_8949.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 6

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I run a CSU Holley carb on a turbocharged blow through Buick 350 it works perfectly. The same carb made over 1000 wheel Hp on my friends 5.3 LS without any tuning from how CSU had it setup for my combo.

I’ve got another CSU Holley carb on E-85 and both carbs are perfect for air fuel ratio off boost, on boost 5-20 psi the carb flat out works. Both carbs are bone stock from CSUs settings.

You're still reinforcing my point. That's a $1000 carb that's been modified for blow through. I suppose it's easy since they set it up for you. . .

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're still reinforcing my point. That's a $1000 carb that's been modified for blow through. I suppose it's easy since they set it up for you. . .
Yes a $1000 carb that supports 1200 HP. Show me a EFI system that will support 1200 HP for under $1000! Yes it’s easy as I don’t have to pay thousands to a professional tuner to dial it in. Yes people can learn to tune these things but it’s a steep learning curve and if you have a $10,000+ engine it’s a big risk to learn how to tune the hard way.

I’m not getting into a pissing match of EFI vs a carb as they each have thier advantages. Do you slam guys staying carb on thier square bodies or only those who chose to run a carb on whatever vehicle they want. Carb guys aren’t attacking guys for tossing on $600 self tuning EFI that fail constantly, we just sit back and laugh. Each to thier own I’m not slamming EFI I like it as well and I see the perks. But when people start bashing a guys combo because they are using a carb on thier combo it’s pretty rude.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes a $1000 carb that supports 1200 HP. Show me a EFI system that will support 1200 HP for under $1000! Yes it’s easy as I don’t have to pay thousands to a professional tuner to dial it in. Yes people can learn to tune these things but it’s a steep learning curve and if you have a $10,000+ engine it’s a big risk to learn how to tune the hard way.

I’m not getting into a pissing match of EFI vs a carb as they each have thier advantages. Do you slam guys staying carb on thier square bodies or only those who chose to run a carb on whatever vehicle they want. Carb guys aren’t attacking guys for tossing on $600 self tuning EFI that fail constantly, we just sit back and laugh. Each to thier own I’m not slamming EFI I like it as well and I see the perks. But when people start bashing a guys combo because they are using a carb on thier combo it’s pretty rude.

I chimed in because it was stated that a stock EFI system can't support boost or nitrous (while not specifying what that consists of), and I chimed in to say that it's easy to make them take boost, and now I'm asserting it doesn't take $1,000 in parts to make that happen.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But when people start bashing a guys combo because they are using a carb on thier combo it’s pretty rude.
I think most of these guys were born after 1980 and grew up with electronics and think anything else is antiquated. It takes no more effort to dial in a carb than it does EFI difference is you have to actually do some work and get your hands dirty. What's up with working in rubber gloves anyway,afraid they may get some dirt on their hands?