Carb SBC vs TBI SBC vs Gen 3 LS reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a fancy way of saying stainless. Stainless steel is a nickel/chromium alloy,there is no(iron)steel in it.
Stainless steel is a low-carbon, iron/chromium alloy with additional elements depending on the grade of stainless. Iron would be the majority by weight.

Nickle/chrome could refer to plating rather than an alloy. Often with Copper as a first layer, then nickel, then chromium.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stainless steel is a low-carbon, iron/chromium alloy with additional elements depending on the grade of stainless. Iron would be the majority by weight.

Nickle/chrome could refer to plating rather than an alloy. Often with Copper as a first layer, then nickel, then chromium.
Seems the 400 series stainless does have ferrous metal in it. I have never worked with those. 18/8,304,304L and 316 is what I have in my shop. I have a steam turbine shaft that came from a nuclear power plant but haven't found the need to use it yet. Now I know what grade it may be. Been laying under my lathe for about 25yrs now. Doesn't glow in the dark :)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ALL "stainless steel" is iron with alloying elements, primarily chromium. For example, "18-8" stainless (also known as "304") has 18% chromium, 8% nickel, a dash of this, a whiff of that, and all the rest--about 70%--is iron.

The only "steel" I know of that doesn't have an iron/ferrous base, is
You must be registered for see images attach

Even "phony" steel, like GM "Armasteel" and Communist "cast steel" crankshafts, have iron as the principle ingredient.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah,I've never been able to calculate the optimum tube length either but I failed algebra when I told the teacher that pi are round,cornbread are square.
Ditto - always way out - by a factor of two. But I think that's a clue to what goes on with them.
I think, the extraction pulse at around TDC (to catch the valve overlap period) is from the positive pulses that entered the three other manifold branches returning to the collector (having bounced off closed exhaust valves) and reversing polarity to negative then arriving at the cylinder's primary that is in need of the scavenging pulse. So, it is on the second pass that the real work is done - I think...

Doesn't explain what happens to the original pulse that was returned as a negative pulse though. It could be returned back down the pipe towards the collector unchanged, ie, still negative, return with reversed (now positive) polarity, or just be swallowed up and disappear - depending on the conditions it encounters at the open exhaust valve. And it is info like that that is hard to come by. I've been trying for years to find out what happens to a positive pulse entering a turbocharger. Not even Gale Banks can answer me that.

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1970 Corvette had "Oversized Ram's Horns" and "Fuelee Heads".
(Not the standard size... oversize...)

The runner length is very easy to calculate = 1-5/8" x 2-1/2", non-equal length and very short.
The offset in length from the inside cylinders, vs the outside, is offset by the rotation of the crank and firing order...

This is why the 4-7 swap can make a difference under certain conditions, using a specific header tube design, with complicated tube lengths, during WOT at a specific RPM range on some very specific engines on the Dyno...
For most of us it's not worth the trouble of ordering a custom Cam and all the fabrication costs by a rocket engineer, to try it.

See where it gets fat, then slims down before the collector?
All the magic happens there, during alternating firing and scavenging.

It's really simple. Probably not as efficient for 600 plus HP, but for the 70's they were very cool.
You would have to spend a lot of money, in order to make a 1970 small block achieve beyond 600HP...

If I could have run Horns, I would have on my 355HO TBI.
With the 4WD, they would not fit next to the frame and steering shaft, so I chose the Sanderson block hug-er stainless shorty's, which I recommended a few posts ago. They sell a similar version of cast iron and they are not cheap.

Here's a link showing where a bunch of Hot Rod guys discuss how short headers do virtually nothing over Ram's Horns,
ie: IF YOU CAN FIT THEM... and you are NOT using forced induction:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...re-they-worth-installing-over-headers.372328/

Try to find an affordable set in good condition... that are not already warped, or from a substandard casting which will warp... good luck. Remember, we're not talking about the 2", these are the 2-1/2"... off a Corvette with no forced air or power adder...

These would have fit into your Jaguar too, Erik the Awful... although your welding and design is really good work.

It's when you get into forced induction, or power adders, such as turbo charging, that the pressure differential starts to get complicated and equal length at the exact diameter and length can make a Universe of difference. Even in a short version header... and where the differences between useful short Rams and short equal length becomes important again...

The distance from the Turbines to the blow off valve, the distance from the head to the turbine and the charge temps you see, really start to add up on the fluid slide rule vs ETG's.

Unfortunately, with emissions inspection and requiring an exhaust re-circulation system functioning, you have to find a solution with this feature or you'll fail emissions.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Positive Pulse most likely envelopes into a three dimensional rotating Torus, bending inside out and backwards, once it is fractured or "PIERCED".

These graphics could be examples what happens in a turbine exhaust, when the Torus is "Pierced" Pinger:

This is a link to a graphic:
https://www.geogebra.org/m/st3x8SM4

This is a media example from another site:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

However, there are different methods and mathematics involved of folding a Torus... the one above is simple-er than the next example... if you are with me this far, let's take a closer look at the science.

First a little background, to keep things interesting and learn a few extra goodies along the way...

I ran projection using Four Eidophor's. Three of them for 3D (and one spare), at Siggraph in 1996 when they invented the 3D Torus Eversion solution. We set the record that year, projecting on a screen 175 feet wide in real time 3D.

Until we projected the Torus math graphic, the event was theoretical.
So somebody paid our team to project it... at Siggraph, for the first time ever...

Had a super cooled Cray Super Computer sitting next to me with a liquid hydrogen cooling system, on the 40x40' platform we constructed, flying 35 feet over the audience using chain hoists to the roof of the convention center.

Graphics boards for normal computers were not yet good enough to calculate and process the image mathematics for true 3D in real time. At least that was the explanation the physicists' gave us, during the setup...

This uses oil and creates a little tiny 3 dimensional virtual image inside the machine and the control system blasts light through it using Zenon Tubes through those huge lenses. This is true RGB, one out of each cannon. We were able to slip the virtual image so people wearing special 3D glasses could see the Torus fold for the first time.

This is Eidophor:

Link to Eidophor:
https://www.earlytelevision.org/Yanczer/eidophor.html

I would bet $0.10, Mr. Banks knows exactly how this next equation possibly effects pulse frequencies in his systems.

Read this cool science white paper and bring your calculator, (but only if it is a good one, or you'll break it...) Take note of the pictures.... :
https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/docum...&doi=74b2d336fb16d9602ede7becb7d21c2c8b040453

This paper was written by: George Francis, John M. Sullivan
-IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON VISUALIZATION AND COMPUTER GRAPHICS, VOL. XX, NO. Y, MMM 2003

The pictures of Sphere Eversion's, presented in this document, include the exact same picture, in stages, of the 3D model we projected for Siggraph, back in 1996. As you see, this Eversion does not require piercing of the Torus to cause an envelope. The first links above are not the same as the IEEE document pictures. It's worth the read... and the pictures explain a great deal of the science before you get to the next image swirling on the screen below.

Many scientists theorize this is an actual structure of the Universe we live in, in 4 dimensions, with time being movable backwards and forwards during the same event. (Last month this theory was proven for the first time, but it has to be triple verified... )
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Here it is, The Clifford-Torus, in 4 virtual dimensions, as best we can see it on a home computer... (don't stare at this too long, if you're drinking, on drugs or using virtual reality goggles.. it's worse than the roller-coaster with a belly full of fried dough and soda pop...):

If this ˆˆˆ were to happen in your Fusion Turbine exhaust, you might be teleported to another dimension... or spit out a black hole someplace in the universe. (Best to stick with Rams or Shorty's so as not to be late for dinner... )

After reading the IEEE document, you can imagine where the theory of folding space-time comes from, for space travel, in theoretical string physics.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Man I love forced induction... who would have guessed there's a little tiny hole in the fabric of the universe, created inside your turbo charger's lil' exhaust system?... no wonder Twin Turbo's are so cool!

Perhaps it's a good thing, sound only travels so far and at a much slower rate than the speed of light?

Attachments

• eidophor_front.jpg
    eidophor_front.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, flashbacks. I took computer graphics and animation in the 90's and it was the hardest class I ever took. I got tired of spending hours in the lab, so I ported small sections of SPHIGS to run on my Mac so I could do most of my work at home.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This maybe a little off topic of what we’re talking about now, but in another thread RanchWelder brought up a very good point about how the 5.7 vortec fuel system doesn’t handle fuel additives in the gas very well. He said TBI engines do not experience this due to their simplicity. Does anyone know if LS engines are very sensitive to the fuel additives that they put in the gas?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This maybe a little off topic of what we’re talking about now, but in another thread RanchWelder brought up a very good point about how the 5.7 vortec fuel system doesn’t handle gas with fuel additives very well. He said TBI engines do not experience this due to their simplicity. Does anyone know if LS engines are very sensitive to the fuel additives that they put in the gas?
No man,you're back on topic.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This maybe a little off topic of what we’re talking about now, but in another thread RanchWelder brought up a very good point about how the 5.7 vortec fuel system doesn’t handle fuel additives in the gas very well. He said TBI engines do not experience this due to their simplicity. Does anyone know if LS engines are very sensitive to the fuel additives that they put in the gas?
The OE poppets are the ones that did not like the additives California specifically was adding to their fuel in the late 90s/early 2000s. Probably MTBE or similar. That is where GM first swapped in the MFI upgrade spider. In this day and age very few of the OE spiders are left running around in these trucks, most have stuck or leaked and been swapped out.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
RanchWelder said that I need to replace the injector spider every 2-3 years to keep it running reliably because of the fuel additives causing debris buildup in the filter screen. At that point, an LS swap would be more economical lol.