marine intake vs vortec vs tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeedonkey

Reaction score
I have a 1995 chevy k1500 (tbi) with 250k miles that i want to give some more power. I came across a guy selling a set of rebuilt vortec heads and a marine intake (new) for $300.
what would be the best option for making decent low end, stock vortec intake, vortec heads with a tbi intake or the marine intake and vortec heads?
how much wiring would it take to run the marine manifold?

Yeedonkey

Reaction score
I would imagine the marine intake flows and performs the best. Not sure about the wiring, but maybe someone else can chime in
I think im gonna buy it. He gave me a link to a tbi adapter so i can just bolt it up. Once he gets back to me about the injector block offs ill prolly get it.
If nothing else i have an old 350 with bad heads/gaskets and a crack in the intake i could put together and drop in something.
I wonder what it would take to set it with the mercruiser wiring, injectors and throttle body?

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever you end up doing, be sure to get good quality intake gaskets. Big problem on the vortec sbc.

My biggest flex is that my truck miraculously has 203k on the original intake gaskets.
The issue was the first formulation of dexcool. If you didn't change it on time, it became acidic and ate away the intake gasket sealing material. They have revised the formulation to address this issue.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that intake like a port injected duel plane 4 barrel or look like a truck vortec with external injectors. Either way you could use a 0411 computer and run port injection. I have been looking for a duel plane one complete for a while just haven't found one yet

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The issue was the first formulation of dexcool. If you didn't change it on time, it became acidic and ate away the intake gasket sealing material. They have revised the formulation to address this issue.

Dexcool is not what ate mine. Heat destroyed mine. The only gaskets I have had held up are the fiber paper ones. The rubber covered metal ones lasted even less time than the stock gaskets.