can i drop a 454 into my 95 K1500 4WD without a new drivetrain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshman

Reaction score
hello, newbie here!

just got a 95 K1500 4WD with a 350 V8. Its a RCSB 5 spd manual. Its the perfect truck for a 454! does anyone have experience swapping a small block with a big block? I know i will need a bigger radiator, fuel pump, engine mounts, among other things, depending on the engine.

question is...can the K1500 manual tranny, transfer case, & the axles handle a big block? My goal is a budget swap, a daily driver, & wont do it if i need to replace drivetrain components.

would i be better off with a 383 stroker?

thanks.

K2500cruiser

Reaction score
I've seen chassis'twist from the strain of a 454, but if you're not overly crazy a half ton would handle it nicely, I'd make sure your rear differential is a 14 bolt at least, those can tear up diffs pretty fast if you wanna get wild

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way I see it, a guy drops a 454 in a truck (or car) for only one reason: to have fun with the loud pedal!

With that in mind, you are on the right track with the larger rad, but you might want to think about making sure you have a heavy duty clutch, that the transmission is up to the job, and as K2500cruiser mentioned, you have a 14 bolt rear end. Probably means going to a six bolt front hub, unless you already have that. If you are changing out the hubs and rear end, upgraded brakes would be a good idea, as I bet you won't be able to resist putting the pedal down hard now and then.

joshman

Reaction score
A 454 will eat that NV3500 5 speed. You will probably want an NV4500 behind it.

damn. starting to sound like major drivetrain work. but if i go with tuning my 350 up to a 383 with a rebuild, would i need to replace drivetrain parts anyway? my goal HP range is 300 to 350 tops, no need for 450 or something crazy. just want a beast of a daily driver...

Last edited:

joshman

Reaction score
I've seen chassis'twist from the strain of a 454, but if you're not overly crazy a half ton would handle it nicely, I'd make sure your rear differential is a 14 bolt at least, those can tear up diffs pretty fast if you wanna get wild

thanks...it may come to pass that i keep the drivetrain in place & take the chance. 98% of the miles would be cruising or going to work not dragging or offroading...

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Can you literally drop it in and bolt it to everything? Yes.

Will everything explode? Maybe.

Should that stop you? No.

If it's a toy, then why not, run it till it blows and upgrade it.