Best cold air intake for 350 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
then explain why a stock modified setup did worse than my open. by modified i mean a 4in straight tub adapted to the flex pipe to the fender. i left it open and it didnt do any better. every engines different on mine the best setup is how i cut the crap out of the factory aircleaner. i understand air is pushed in and not ucked so to speak, theres minimal effort to draw air but the plastic tubing crap that goes to your headlights is still pretty much useless. say what you will about it. your even better off gutting all that and itd be alot better because i tried that also.

hell your fan is stirring the air almost directly to an open element. that inlet was a disaster going through any sort of water, even drawing it through the fender, having the open element allows whatever air is being used is already at the top of the engine compartment and now being drawn in from a flooded fender or water soaked channeling. not even saying im going through lakes and crap even if id hit a big puddle in my 88 it would draw in so much water and just about kill the engine.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
then explain why a stock modified setup did worse than my open. by modified i mean a 4in straight tub adapted to the flex pipe to the fender. i left it open and it didnt do any better. every engines different on mine the best setup is how i cut the crap out of the factory aircleaner. i understand air is pushed in and not ucked so to speak, theres minimal effort to draw air but the plastic tubing crap that goes to your headlights is still pretty much useless. say what you will about it. your even better off gutting all that and itd be alot better because i tried that also.

hell your fan is stirring the air almost directly to an open element. that inlet was a disaster going through any sort of water, even drawing it through the fender, having the open element allows whatever air is being used is already at the top of the engine compartment and now being drawn in from a flooded fender or water soaked channeling. not even saying im going through lakes and crap even if id hit a big puddle in my 88 it would draw in so much water and just about kill the engine.

Sorry, I'm not going to argue a basic point of physics.

There were some years of gmt400 that came with a reducing section inside the fender. This does cut down on the cross section of the intake and is worthwhile removing. It was installed to cut down on intake resonance and increase passenger comfort. Later on, they started using more efficient ways of dealing with resonance such as Helmholtz chambers.

If you choose not to accept the explanation of why the "fender scheme" is better thats cool by me.

What could whole teams of highly paid powertrain engineers know anyways?

Cheers.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Your relating physics to something like predict how a rock will roll. If you wanted to get all scientific you could start arguing then talk about atmospheric air temperature. Maybe ill try a cols air again during the summer but for now the open is out performing it. How do I know I drove my truck many times throughout the week amd noticed many differences between each setup. Every engine parameter was measured during each setup as well yes these were all done during cold weather so what's not to say that doesn't play its part?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not going to argue a basic point of physics.

There were some years of gmt400 that came with a reducing section inside the fender. This does cut down on the cross section of the intake and is worthwhile removing. It was installed to cut down on intake resonance and increase passenger comfort. Later on, they started using more efficient ways of dealing with resonance such as Helmholtz chambers.

If you choose not to accept the explanation of why the "fender scheme" is better thats cool by me.

What could whole teams of highly paid powertrain engineers know anyways?

Cheers.

did you not just prove my point that there are restrictions? and that not every vehicle is the same?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Your relating physics to something like predict how a rock will roll. If you wanted to get all scientific you could start arguing then talk about atmospheric air temperature. Maybe ill try a cols air again during the summer but for now the open is out performing it. How do I know I drove my truck many times throughout the week amd noticed many differences between each setup. Every engine parameter was measured during each setup as well yes these were all done during cold weather so what's not to say that doesn't play its part?

Pointless to continue this, so i won't.

If you're happy with an open filter then carry on.

:)

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
as of now the open works better than the rest, theres nothing to prove that down the road when conditions are different that a cold air may work better, yet thers only one way to find out and that is to try it. point being not one single one is best, each serve a purpose of their own.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bahahaha these threads always end up with loads of bad info, keep that economy going with K&N and crap stuff.