Bagged and bodied 99 c3500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Flares are made from SMC. Fiberglass won't work on them, you have to buy SMC resin. There are 2 different drivers side flares as well. When I was "building" my dually, I found a complete long box with better flares than mine, but the sheetmetal was trashed. When I went to put the drivers side flare on, I had to drill new holes on the front edge a couple inches back to get it on. It covered the old holes, but it was 100% shorter. I don't know what year the box was I bought but it was a long box.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Flares are made from SMC. Fiberglass won't work on them, you have to buy SMC resin. There are 2 different drivers side flares as well. When I was "building" my dually, I found a complete long box with better flares than mine, but the sheetmetal was trashed. When I went to put the drivers side flare on, I had to drill new holes on the front edge a couple inches back to get it on. It covered the old holes, but it was 100% shorter. I don't know what year the box was I bought but it was a long box.
Fiberglass will work. Not as well as SMC, but that's what my flares were repaired with.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I keep forgetting I have to stop using blanket statements. Yes fibreglass resin will “work” but there’s the risk of it delaminating, not adhering properly, etc. For the minimal cost difference I wouldn’t take that risk

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure this is only on the shortbed duallys, which this is not. LB trucks were the same.

@frito-bandito

Pheasant, or peasant hunting? LOLOL
Yes, after reading up on fiberglass repairs on many Corvette sites, I've learned that you have to treat SMC fiberglass different than regular fiberglass. Here's where I started on my truck, start from post 1113 https://www.gmt400.com/threads/600-2000-c3500-cclb.49519/post-1227949

Amazon sells SMC specific resin and filler, and I used the fiberglass matting below with pretty good results.

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 2
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't there a company out there making and selling modified fender flares, I came across them once but can't find them now. I think they were stretched to lay out over 22-24 inch rims

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't there a company out there making and selling modified fender flares, I came across them once but can't find them now. I think they were stretched to lay out over 22-24 inch rims
I can't recall.. but this is the kind of stuff discussed all the time over on duallyscene, which no longer exists. I mentioned the site a little while back and someone said posts were still searchable on whatever the forum had turned into - Street Scene or something like that? Was it @618 Syndicate that mentioned it, maybe?

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Widened fenders are available but as noted not cheap. If you want semis to tuck you have 3 choices. Pay for new, have yours widened by a body shop, or you can run a cab and chassis rear end, which is a couple inches narrower.
Been a while since I've been in those discussions but I believe a C&C rear is 8" narrower than a standard width pickup dually rear. Takes some fitting to make it all work and obviously if you're dropped and trying to tuck big dually wheels with a C&C you're probably gonna be tubbed (or in process of) already.

Richard