Any frame issues w/ towing ~12k lbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
everybody that's ever crashed....and or killed someone ELSE has previously said "it's fine, i do it all the time without problems".....or....."go slow, you'll be fine"..........until the day it DIDN"T go fine.........hell, nobody WANTS to slip and fall in the bathtub and break their neck. killing someone by accident is bad enough, killing someone by accident when your doing something outside the legal limits is reckless.

the real deal is you're are NOT getting around the liability and accountability in the advent of an incident, should you exceed the FACTORY ratings on the VIN......the law doesn't give a **** how much you beef up up a rig.

commercial vehicles can get overweight permits for certain applications, with insurance for it......unless by some miracle you can get the STICKER to say different or a vehicle re-rated(which i've never personally seen), you're liable in an accident.....and open to fines and or prosecution.

i've seen way too many severely injured and dead VICTIMS in my time....because fu@kin idiots were towing with vehicles that were not rated for the job......i'm not saying that's the case here, but it damned well could be.

it's almost like deer hunting with a .223 when there's a nice .270 Winchester available. smart people don't go deer hunting with 223's on PURPOSE......that's not even a good analogy, but someone may get they idea if the bell didn't ring before.

people will do what they choose, towing veterans have experience and intuitively know what they and their rig can do......and then there's other people that don't understand how fu@kin stupid they actually are.......either way, it doesn't absolve anyone of culpability should something go awry.

C30454

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every year, there is an exodus of people from the Detroit Metro area where I lived most of my life, going "up north" on I-75. And overwhelmingly, the vehicles on the side of the road jackknifed or flipped over and involved in single vehicle crashes were trucks and vans towing 24 ft. and larger boats and trailers. And they were almost always 1/2 ton or "heavy half" tow vehicles supposedly within their rated towing capacity. The ones that weren't wrecked were sitting on the side of the road probably with tranny trouble. I have little doubt their salesman said, "It will tow that, no problem". Funny that.....

Tom

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And if you look even more closely, you'll see that their load is improperly balanced, improperly secured, tires ready to blow, wheel bearings that have never been serviced, the list goes on and on and on. I can't count the number of WD hitches I see improperly set up or even non-WD with a trailer either pointing at the sky or at the ground. Just because a half ton was pulling it doesn't mean it was overloaded. There's far more stupidity at work than meets the eye.

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish my phone could have been in my hand the other day when a Geo metro came by towing a Ford ranger loaded on a boat trailer.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
9 out of 10 times its more of the driver than the equipment, people nowadays cant drive for ****. I blame lack of common sense and piss poor driver training in this country.

i concur.....fukkers from other planets in BMW suv's this week, last week they were in usjerkastan with no ****** shoes....and they're driving on MY highways doing 45mph in the left lane like it's fine and ****** dandy.....then they go buy a new pickup because they CAN.....and tow their **** without a clue.

but........if they do...and a lot WILL have an accident, they'll probably be fine if they're under their GCVWR. the one's that have experience, a good rig AND commn sense get screwed in an accident if they're overloaded......even if THEY get hit in the rear and the LEO is on point.

i say what i say because i was in the industry for a looooong time, seen lots of bad **** and i know some people are unaware of some of the facts........and some do it because they hear people tell them they can do it from FORUMS!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Shovelbill how does the average LEO determine if you are overweight? I doubt they crack open the owner's manual on the side of the road. Don't they typically just go off the axle weight ratings and GVWR on the door sticker?