Any frame issues w/ towing ~12k lbs?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by klieber, Jan 5, 2017.

1. klieber

klieber Newbie

I have a rather unusual '99 C2500 Suburban that has a 12V Cummins and a built transmission. The engine, transmission, cooling, brakes, etc. are all heavy duty and can easily tow anything I throw at it. So I'm not worried about that. I also have a trailer brake controller added by the P.O.

My question: are there any issues or concerns with the frame if I go about 50% above the max (stock) towing rating? Chances are I'll stay closer to the 8k - 10k range, but just curious what the limitations are if I were to push it.

2. RichLo

RichLo I'm Awesome

as long as your tongue weight isnt out of control you should be fine until a DOT vehicle pulls you over.

3. klieber

klieber Newbie

Is it actually illegal for a non-commercial vehicle to tow more than the manufacturer's rated specs?

4. brutpwr

brutpwr Newbie

Best to run Timbrens or some type of air bags as I have personal experience with bending of the rear shackel and frame hangers bending when tongue loads go above 1200 lbs which is easy with the loads you r talking about. Basically even if the springs hold the weight ok the shackel and hanger get "overloaded" on one side especially when you turn real tight with a weight distributing hitch.

5. thz71

thz71 Stock SUCKS!

In Iowa it isn't. I'd about other states

6. 90halfton

90halfton I'm Awesome

Eh, run it and see. Common sense will soon tell you if the tails waggin the dog.